Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a toilet roll holder?

Missskybird
Building a Reputation

How to replace a toilet roll holder?

I’m having difficulty installing a new toilet roll holder on our spare toilet in the laundry.

C72C7469-2440-45C1-B489-006DB1510E6C.jpeg

13D9AFB7-9EEA-460A-A948-DC175070B544.jpeg

The old toilet roll holder was installed using a gravity toggle, vertically.

Unfortunately the plate to install the new toilet roll holder can only be installed horizontally.

I drilled holes and clearly hit a stud. I used the stud finder and it keeps indicating either electrical wiring or studs.

I then tried two versions of liquid nails but neither held it securely once I attached the entire holder.

I would appreciate any advice as to how I can solve my problem.

Re: How to replace a toilet roll holder?

I agree tiny screws can challenge patience. If you have a magnet handy find out if the screw is magnetic. If so, attach the magnet to the side of the screwdriver, which should make the screw stay on the tip while you put it in the hole. If it's not magnetic you could try a small bit of bluetack on the screw head and push the driver gently through it such that it holds the screw upright. Once you've got the screw started a bit you can take the bluetack away so that the driver can engage fully into the screw.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Missskybird

I'm starting to suspect that there is something behind your plaster wall than just an empty void. I suggest testing another portion of your wall that is just a little bit further away from the original spot you drilled into. I suggest using a hammer and a nail to test the new spot for the toilet roll holder. If when hammering in the nail you hit something behind the wall, gently tap the nail on its head and see if the nail moves deeper. If it does not move, there is the possibility that you have a brick wall behind your plaster wall.

If that's the case you need to use a masonry drill bit to mount your wall anchors. This is a possible reason why when you try to drill into your wall the drill does not go any deeper. But if that's not the case the other scenarios are you have a steel-framed house or the former owner used hardwood to frame the wall making it very difficult to drill into the timber.

I've placed an image below on how to mount the toilet roll holder to the mounting plate. It's important that the plate be positioned correctly when being mounted on the wall. If it's facing the wrong way the grub screw will not engage the plate correctly.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your toilet roll holder installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Missskybird
Building a Reputation

Thank you Eric.

what size wall anchor would you recommend?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Missskybird

Once you've determined what's behind your wall you can then use the appropriate drill bit. If it is a hollow wall, I still recommend using the Ramset 6 x 38mm Universal Anchor as it will work with any condition behind your wall.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Missskybird
Building a Reputation

Thank you.

Hi @Missskybird,

If you had gravity toggles before, it would appear to be a cavity wall, not masonry. How do you know you hit a timber stud? Did timber shavings come out as you drilled? As @TedBear mentioned, a timber stud is perfect, much better than a hollow cavity. You need to use the screws provided in the kit to screw the mounting plate to the timber stud. You won't need to use the plastic plugs included.

Does your stud finder specifically identify electrical cables? If so, or if there is any chance that there are electrical cables in that area, please do not drill into the wall. Instead, I'd recommend you employ the services of an electrician to determine precisely where the cables are before proceeding. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects