Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace basin taps with a mixer?

kingj
Growing in Experience

How to replace basin taps with a mixer?

Hi

The existing taps need to be forcefully closed else water continues to drip .

kids find it difficult to do this and instead of replacing I was thinking of getting a mixer.

how do I Replace existing basin taps with mixer..

also I tried using strap wrench to open tap but couldn’t do as it slips .. any suggestions for this too

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0572.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace basin taps with a mixer?

Hi @kingj,

Since you have a three-hole basin, you'll likely not be able to install a mixer tap, which typically suits one larger hole. What you could do is replace those taps with quarter-turn ceramic disc lever taps, which are far easier to turn on and off than valve-style taps. However, if the current taps need to be forcibly closed, then it sounds like their valve washers need replacing, as it should be relatively easy to turn them off. My advice would be to change the valve washers in your current taps to see if that solves the issue, and if not, replace the taps for some using ceramic discs. 

Cone-style flanges are notoriously difficult to undo if they've been there for a while. Here are a couple of previous discussions that you might like to read through: Plumbing issue - unable to unscrew faucet flange by @AndrewL and Tap Bonnet dramas by @timjeffries. Our members make several great suggestions within those topics. 

Sometimes the flange can be siliconed to the benchtop, making it hard to remove. Try carefully slipping an extendable cutting blade under the flange and running it around the circumference.

If the suggestions in the above discussions don't assist, you need to remove the stuck flanges destructively. This could involve cutting it off with a hacksaw or crushing them to give the multi-grip pliers something to hold onto.

Remember your PPE, including gloves and safety glasses, and always cut away from yourself when using utility knives.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects