Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace shower glass seal?

Tanny
Finding My Feet

How to replace shower glass seal?

IMG_6819.jpeg

Hi there.

We have recently moved into our first home.

The seal around the actual glass panels is in need of being replaced. I am either looking it up incorrectly or it can’t be replaced. All I can seem to find online are tutorials on how to replace the plastic seal on the bottom of the shower door or the actual silicon. This is a harder plastic tubing that runs around the glass panels that is pushed in. 

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? 
Thanks 😊 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: shower glass seal replacement

Hello @Tanny 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your shower glass seal.

Congratulations on your new home! The seal you are looking at seems to be the original rubber seal placed in the aluminium frame to hold the glass in place. This is usually installed at the factory where the shower was made.

The good news is that you can go to an aluminium and glazier shop and ask them for a quote on how much it will cost to replace the seals in your shower assembly. I understand that it is very tempting to simply cut the old seal off and replace it with silicone. Unfortunately, it does not work that way and cutting the seal will loosen up the glass and become a falling hazard. So please don't cut the seals.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tanny
Finding My Feet

Re: shower glass seal replacement

Thanks so much! Have a great day 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects