Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace shower head with bigger thread?

rpiad82
Finding My Feet

How to replace shower head with bigger thread?

IMG_1962.jpeg

Hi all,

I bought the Flexispray Havana Twin Short to replace my current shower head which I thought was just a standard size so I can DIY. However, after removing the old one, the thread it used is bigger and I can’t fit the one I recently bought.

What are my options? Can I buy something to make this work or just return the new one I bought. Thanks in advance.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace shower head with bigger thread

Hello @rpiad82 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your new shower head.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the wall outlet and the back of your new shower attachment. It's possible that an adapter was removed along with your old shower head assembly. If it was accidentally removed, it might be possible to screw it back on and thereby allowing you to screw the new shower head assembly on. 

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG_2056.jpeg

Thanks, Eric! 

Here are the photos:

IMG_2057.jpeg

 and the old one:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rpiad82,

Is it the thread on the new shower arm that is larger than what's on the wall? Does it just slide over the thread on the wall and not grip it all?

Most threaded fittings on walls for showers are 15mm, which suits all available shower arms in our stores. If the sizing is different, you might like to take your old shower arm into the store with you so our helpful plumbing expert can examine it for you.

Alternatively, if it's just leaking when installed and screwed on, then it could just need a couple more revolutions of thread tape. However, it sounds like they are completely different sizes, which is unusual.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks, @MitchellMc.

The new shower I bought was the Flexispray Havana Short Twin and the thread is smaller than what’s on the wall. I can only do one revolution and it get stuck unlike the old one which gets more than half way and you tighten naturally.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rpiad82 

Thanks for posting those extra photos of your wall outlet. I suggest doing a quick test, remove all the thread tape on the outlet and brush off any debris that is on it. Don't put any tape on the outlet and see if the new fitting will screw on properly.

If it does screw on properly, odds are that there is too much tape being applied. I propose putting a minimum of two rolls at the front and three going to the rear. However, if the new fitting does not screw on properly with no tape on the wall fitting, it's possible that the unit you have is defective. I suggest bringing it back to the store and exchanging it for a new one.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks, @EricL!

It worked! I just had to try harder with a wrench to screw in the new shower. I hesitated because the old one was so easy to screw. Now it’s in and working. Thanks!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects