Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace vanity?

Kys
Growing in Experience

How to replace vanity?

Hi, we bought this 1970's built house in December from the original owner. Now the bathroom vanity is coming away from the wall, currently has a car stand helping support it! This has never previously been replaced from what we have worked out, majority of the house is original. 

IMG20210718012157.jpg

IMG20210718012206.jpg

We have a full bathroom reno planned in the future (a year or two) but for now I was wondering how easy this would be to replace with a new one?

I was hoping to be able to buy a cupboard/sink unit and install ourselves but not sure if a plumber would be needed.

Any advice is appreciated

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace vanity?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kys. We're looking forward to seeing how you can transform your bathroom.

Your bathroom reminds me a little of what we had to work with when we moved into our house 15 years ago. The old vanity was in a similar precarious state. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist you.

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kys

Thank you for sharing your question about how to replace a vanity.

I suggest measuring the current location of the plumbing fittings. The distance of the hot and cold outlets in height and width. Measure the distance of the wastewater pipe from the wall to its current location. You can now use these measurements as a guide to finding out if your new vanity will accommodate the plumbing fittings.

Please make sure that the new vanity will fit into the old location and not intrude into your shower. Once you find a suitable vanity that will fit and meets the plumbing requirements you can then proceed to remove your old one. If you feel that you don't have enough experience with the removal and re-installation of your taps and waste pipe, I suggest engaging the services of a plumber to make sure it is professionally installed.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to install a bathroom vanity

Here is a link for future ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular bathroom projects

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your new vanity installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @Kys

.@EricL  suggestion is good,  if you are going to renovate the bathroom in the near future, you could try as a temporary fix, screw the back wall of the existing vanity back onto the wall, you will need to remove the drawers and see if you can see where the original screws were installed, then just remove the screws and add longer screws, hopefully this should hold the vanity back onto the wall. You could also buy an adjustable foot from Bunnings to replace the car stand.

JoeAzza_0-1626667058534.png

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Kys , I also agree with @EricL 's suggestions. The double coupling as used under the existing sink into the  waste water pipe will give you a fair range of leeway with where the new sink outlet can be. You would connect the water taps with flexible hoses, not the stiff copper pipes that appear to be used there now. They come in a variety of lengths, so again there is leeway in where the new sink taps can be. As long as you stay in the vicinity of the old cabinet for now, you should be ok with it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects