Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure wooden bathtub frame to subfloor?

Bolt
Just Starting Out

How to secure wooden bathtub frame to subfloor?

I need to know what is the best means of securing the wooden bathtub frame (like in the bunnings YouTube video on building a bathtub frame) to 3/4" cement subfloor? I'm using the same timber 90 x45mm worried nails will just crack the subfloor as it is original subfloor. Original bathtub frame was not secured. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to secure wooden bathtub frame

Hello @Bolt

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your bathtub frame.

If you are worried about cracking the cement subfloor, I suggest using Selleys 350g Heavy Duty Liquid Nails to glue the timber frame to the cement subfloor. I recommend putting heavy weights on the frame to make sure that it is pressed against the floor. If the frame is attached to any wall, I also propose putting adhesive under that part of the frame so that it's not just held in with the screws attached to the wall.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear, @ProjectPete, @tom_builds and @Nham for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bolt
Just Starting Out

OK. thank you very much. I was considering using some sort of adhesive silicone. Was not sure what was required if anything by regulations.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bolt

If you're having thoughts about the installation of your bath frame, I suggest having a look at your local council's rules and regulations regarding bathroom renovations and the installation of a bath frame. If you do decide to screw the frame into the floor, please make sure that it is in line with the timber frame floor. I suggest pre-drilling the cement subfloor with the highest-quality drill bit you can use so that it does not damage the subfloor. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects