Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for small laundry reno - small budget

DIYMum
Having an Impact

Ideas for small laundry reno - small budget

20200430_095909.jpg20200430_095923.jpg20200430_095945.jpg

Hi all

New to this forum, but not new to DYI or Bunnings :smile: As you can see in the photos, this very small (2.5m x 1.7m) laundry is seriously lacking storage! The fact there is a shower cubicle (currently storing the freezer - no hob, just a shower base) and toilet in there doesn't help, so I'm thinking of getting rid of both of those to provide extra storage space - is this an easy job and how do I go about closing off the holes after removing the toilet & shower (don't want any nasty smells or critters coing up through the pipes!)? I've been in the house 20+ years and the only time we used the shower & toilet in here was when we did the main bathroom renovation (and there is an ensuite).

I'd like to put a bench top across the entire left hand side wall and put cupboards underneath. Am thinking of using a 2200x600x26mm laminated Beech panel (which I'd seal with a clear lacquer). 

There is one row of tiles on the bottom of the wall around the entire room, and was thinking of just painting them and the tiles behind the tub in a bold colour to liven up the white a bit (this is the only white room in the entire house!) Obviously there will be areas with floor tiles missing when I get rid of the shower and toilet, so any ideas for a good looking, inexpensive option for the floor would be great!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas for small laundry reno - small budget

Hi @DIYMum,

Welcome to the community. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing you transform your laundry. 

If you look at some of the posts below under the "You might also like" heading you'll see this is a popular topic and that members have had some great success renovating spaces like yours for very modest sums. One of the most popular recently has been the $500 Bunnings laundry reno by @prettyliving

I would always recommend members engage a plumber for any works such as removing a toilet. I would also recommend you share a sketch of the space and include dimensions so members can get an even better idea of what you are working with and make more specific recommendations.

Let me now hand over to the rest of the community for their thoughts on your project and plans. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYMum
Having an Impact

Thanks @Jason! I've looked at the other laundry reno posts and that's inspired me :smile: 

As suggested, here's a sketch of the space with dimensions. Okay, so get a plumber in to remove the toilet, what about the shower recess? It looks relatively simple based on YouTube videos - hahaha famous last words!

20200430_131025.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great, glad you've been inspired @DIYMum

Many thanks for the sketch. I'm sure that will really help our helpful members like @Mathy, @redracer01, @prettyliving and @ProjectPete to share their thoughts. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Hi @DIYMum 🙂

I love your idea of putting a large benchtop in there, having a decent bench space in the laundry is the difference between enjoying doing the washing and hating it in my opinion 😜 

We just did ours a couple of years ago and used the laminated benchtop from Bunnings and were really happy with it still. As far as the rest of the room you could prob do a lot of the dismantling yourself like the shower screens etc but I would recommend getting a plumber in to do the toilet and close off the pipes, drains etc as you wouldn’t want to be running into issues later on that may become costly. Are you planning on replacing the flooring?

Hi @prettyliving 

This whole laundry reno project started because I got the idea to put a benchtop in! It will make a world of difference. Given there will be gaps in the tiling when the toilet & shower are removed, definitely planning on replacing the flooring 😁 Just not sure what with yet.....

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

@DIYMum could always use look into the vinyl planks, they are a really affordable option, you would prob only need one pack to do your whole laundry. We have them throughout our house (minus the bedrooms), we layed then ourselves and it was very simple, that was about 4 years ago and they’ve held up really well 🙂 

@prettyliving was considering vinyl planks. I'm in the process of doing vinyl planks throughout the house at the moment ... have done hallway/entrance, family/dining/kitchen so far and loving how it looks! 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @DIYMum 

Will you be keeping the fridge in there? What size is it please?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi @redracer01 

No, the freezer will be moved outside 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects