Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Installing a frameless shower screen with a shower base

Rach_m
Just Starting Out

Installing a frameless shower screen with a shower base

Hi,

I recently bought the D'LUCCI 10 x 2000 x 865mm Frameless Glass Shower Panel Door Kit; Item Number: 4890736.

I need some advise. I also purchase a shower base from Reece for my bathroom and would like to fit the shower door kit to the shower base. I was wondering if that can be done? Can I fit the bottom bracket into the shower base? I prefer using a shower base rather than a tile base.

Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Installing a frameless shower screen with a shower base

Hi @Rach_m,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We look forward to assisting you with this bathroom project as well as many others to come in the future. Our clever, creative and helpful members are constantly sharing information, advice and inspiration on the site.

Let me tag some members who might like to kick off the discussion for you: @ProjectPete@Mathy@MitchellMc 

Please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site. We are looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Rach_m - I think we need some photos if possible. The glass door kit mounts to the wall, so assuming you got the right size shower base (870mm as per the Bunnings info for the shower screen) - the bottom bracket should be ok. Thinking you need a plumber to install, waterproof etc., the shower base? This will ensure that the levels are ok for the screen installation. But photos would be good! Cheers Deb

Rach_m
Just Starting Out

Hi Deb,

This is the shower base that I purchased from Reece.

Web_1200x900-Marbletrend-Easy-Fit-Polymarble-Shower-Base-900mm-x-900mm-with-Rear-Outlet-White-4-Sided (2).jpgWeb_1200x900-Marbletrend-Easy-Fit-Polymarble-Shower-Base-900mm-x-900mm-with-Rear-Outlet-White-4-Sided.jpg

This is the shower screen that I purchased from Bunnings.  Yup, will be getting a plumber to do the install ect, but just wondering if these two items would fit together before getting the plumber in and realise it doesn't. Appreciate your help. 

Capture.PNG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @Rach_m. My apologies for the slow response.

Unfortunately the D'lucci Frameless Glass Shower Panel Door Kit is suited to be fixed to a tiled hob and the manufacturer does not recommend the frameless kit being installed onto a pre-made shower base as it is not structurally sound.

If your intentions were to lay tiles up to the edge of the shower base, then the kit can be installed directly onto those.

Please let me know if you need any further advice on the installation or have other questions.

Mitchell

Whoa!  I've  bought a 1175mm panel ... nowhere in the product specifications does it say this cannot be installed to a shower tray. What's up Doc ?😀

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tonyfendt. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for providing this feedback.

I apologise, as I wasn't aware that those details were not included in the product specifications. I'll pass this feedback onto the supplier so they can have a look at including them.

Frameless shower kits are generally designed to fix onto solid substrates giving a seamless look between the glass panels and tiles beneath. This seamless look is partly achieved by having very minimalistic brackets, even for solid substrates. In the case of the Mondella 10 x 2000 x 1175mm Glass Frameless Shower Panel, it has four mounting points total. An acrylic shower base is too flexible to have a heavy glass panel attached at only two points. You could install your shower panel onto a shower base if you wish, but the supplier does not recommend it.

When you say you have a shower tray, is it a raised acrylic base? Feel free to post a picture if you'd like, and some of our helpful members might have some solutions for you.

Mitchell

My shower panel is from Bunnings ... possibly the mondella one. Really unhappy about this. I'll have to find stainless steel long masony anchors and leave a small gap under and the side of the panel for structural silicone.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Tonyfendt

I'm sorry to hear about your shower glass panel installation. Have you thought about building a small cement hob next to the shower tray and covering it with tiles so that the glass panel sits on the cement hob? It will still look visually appealing and you won't have to buy anything special as the glass panel can now be installed regularly. I've drawn a diagram below to give you an idea of how it could be done. 

Please note that the measurements placed are for reference only, please adjust them to your needs.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

tony shower1.jpgtony shower2.jpgtony shower3.jpgtony shower4.jpgtony shower5.jpgtony shower6.jpgtony shower7.jpg

Tonyfendt
Getting Established

'Morning Eric, thank you for your efforts and nice diagram :smile: .Unfortunately taking another 100mm out and moving the screen over would impinge on the WC location. In addition, even with silicone sealing, we'd be introducing another potential leak area at the hob/tray junction. Aesthetically, I'm not sure that this would be appealing to look at either. I think I will stick to drilling through to the slab under and anchoring with long shaft ss anchors as well as 5mm structural silicone jointing to the tray. I'll review the installation once the silicone is cured and if necessary install either an off the shelf head brace or custom toughened glass brace at the head of the wall junction and maybe in combination with a toughened glass head brace.

Had I'd known that these panels should not be fixed to the tray, I'd have built an insitu tiled shower floor but now I'm stuck with what is built.

Cheers, Tony

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects