Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry makeover with fish scale tiles

tarshgardiner
Growing in Experience

Laundry makeover with fish scale tiles

IMG_5965.jpeg

One of the reasons I bought this house was because the laundry was a complete blank slate and I could finally use my dream tiles - fish scale. 

It was a top to toe reno and my first crack at a bulkhead and cornice. I got an electrician to move the outlet under benchtop height (he also surprised me by accidentally cutting through the main water line hahaa) and the plumber did the disconnect and reconnect. I did the rest. 

Materials

Bunnings fish scale tiles, tile cement, nipper, tile scorer

Bunnings cornice, cornice cement, plasterboard, ceiling paint

Bunnings wall paint, spray paint

Bunnings half moon brushed brass handles

Bunnings Senso self adhesive vinyl planks

Bunnings floor grate

Bunnings ceiling vent

Ikea cabinetry, benchtop, sink, curtain

Build by Temple and Webster mixer

Tools

Steps

Step 1

IMG_5975.jpeg

Prep and spray sliding door (which looks like I’m preparing a kill room I know!!!)

Step 2

Paint walls and install cabinetry and benchtop. The benchtop in the photo is just sitting there - I did the sink and mixer cutout before I installed it properly. 

IMG_6209.jpeg

Step 3

Tile the backsplash

70019835601__E26C29FD-1CA4-4AEC-BC55-7E669A5DD137.fullsizerender.jpeg

Step 4

IMG_6487.jpeg

Create (then paint) bulkhead and cornice 

Step 5

IMG_6417.jpeg

Create a jig and install handles

Step 6

IMG_6501.jpeg

Install curtain, sink, and mixer

Step 7

IMG_6536.jpeg

Lay flooring

Step 8

IMG_6537.jpeg

Tadaaaa the finished product!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry makeover with my dream tiles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tarshgardiner. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

What an absolutely stellar transformation! I can see why you are in love those tiles; I am too! The cabinet hardware is a great choice and complements everything nicely. The Farmer's sink is just the icing on the cake. You've got a keen eye for matching the sink tap with the cabinet handles; many people miss this key detail.

Well done all around!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

@tarshgardiner wow what a transformation! Congrats! 👏🏻👏🏻

I love those tiles and the brass tap & hardware! Great job! Thanks for sharing and good luck in the DIY July comp! 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Wow !!!!!! @tarshgardiner OMG !!!! I love your new laundry. How cool are those tiles WOW !!!! Even just the sheer curtain looks amazing. Can I please ask you what a bulkhead is ? 🥰🥰

Oh thank you so much!!! A bulkhead is the bit that goes between the top of the cupboards and the cornice, so it looks like the cupboards are built in (it looks like it’s part of the wall). It might technically be called something else but that’s what I know it as. I hate a gap above my cupboards 😊

@tarshgardiner Ohhh ok , well it looks great and I understand what you mean about the cupboard looks like it is built in. Very good indeed 😃😃

buildwithroneth
Having an Impact

Re: Laundry makeover with fish scale tiles

Hi @tarshgardiner love this!  Thank you so much for sharing!  We're currently also looking at laundry makeover inspo!  Looks amazing! 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects