Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry reno - questions re: shelving and plumbing

MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Laundry reno - questions re: shelving and plumbing

Hi

I'm planning some work in our laundry over the school holidays.  For perspective, the room layout is:

Layout.jpg

Hopefully my writing is legible over the graph pad squares.

The area I want to work on looks like this:

Current look.jpeg

Please excuse the mess!  

Our cat's litter tray sits on the newspaper and the cupboard behind it is hardly used.

This is what I'm thinking of doing:

New look.jpg

So I'd be installing a bench (stretching across the area), replacing the basic shelves with open cube shelves and replacing the sink cupboard with a simple front cover (just enough to hide the plumbing) so that the litter tray could sit underneath the sink, out of the way.  I'd also paint the walls (I narrowed the colour down to a couple of nice pale greys at Bunnings today).

Question 1: What would be the best way to install the new shelves?  I'm thinking I'll have to make them first.  I had a look at the cube shelves in Bunnings and they don't work for the space (size wise).

Question 2 (this is probably one for a plumber): Is it possible to change the layout of the pipes (see below), to give more clearance?  I.e. lift it all up.  We have a tall cat!

Plumbing.jpg

I'm also thinking that replacing the internal door with a barn style one might be a good way to create some space.

Possible tile and bench wood combo:

Bench tile combo.jpg

Regards

Melanie

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Laundry reno - questions re: shelving and plumbing

Hi @MelC1,

We're looking forward to seeing how you can transform your laundry.

You can check out our Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects if you need any further inspiration. I would also recommend @Adam_W's guide How to plan a laundry renovation.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with anything. We're here to help. It will also be great to get regular updates of your progress over the holidays. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc , I'll ask about that.  I'm just waiting to hear back from an electrician friend for a couple of plumber recommendations.

MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @Jason , I've checked out both of those posts - very helpful and inspirational!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MelC1 

I'm sorry I'm late for the party. But here are some inspirational images that will help you visualize what your laundry could look like. If you want to see a different configuration or material in the laundry. Please let me know and I'll be more than happy to change it for you.

Eric

MelC11.jpgMelC12.jpgMelC13.jpgMelC14.jpgMelC15.jpg

MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL,very snazzy!  If you have the time, would you mind changing a few things?  I ended up purchasing a round overmount sink and a black mixer (to be located in the corner). We won’t have a raised cat tray as it will reduce the space available for out (tall) cat 🙂 You’ve given me something to ponder as I’d decided to go with a plain white tile (probably subway), thinking that the multi-shaded bench top and pattern tile combo would be too busy, but I quite like how it looks in your mock-up. Decisions, decisions!

Initial electrical and plumbing work has been done and I’ve neatened up the plasterboard for the new board to go up.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MelC1

As requested, I've replaced the sink with a round bowl and have done your wall tiles in both Subway and Decor8 tiles. I've also countersunk the cat's litter box so that it will not affect the height of the bottom of the cabinet. I've placed a black tap to give you an idea of what it might look like on the right-hand side location. Just to let you know the cabinet I used for your laundry tub is the Kaboodle 600mm Base Cabinet. It takes out all the guesswork for your builder and everything should fit neat. If you wish to make any other changes, please let me know.

Eric

MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @EricL, much appreciated. I’ll show that to my husband 🙂 That’s an interesting idea to countersink the tray.  Food for thought!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects