Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry renovation

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Laundry renovation

We had the original laundry in our house and decided it was time to give it a makeover. It was a narrow space, and we wanted it to look simple and open. I started this post with @AprilGrim  as she was doing her own laundry. 

20210126_102140.jpeg

2020-09-12 08.24.18.jpg2020-09-12 08.19.03.jpg20200822_163903.jpeg

I did all the work myself except moving the plumbing, it took about a week to do and we kept to budget. We are happy with the results, and I got to pick up some new skills.

Our design gives us more counter space now, and the white cabinets make the room look brighter. I was surprise at how easy the cabinets were to install, the hardest part was to cut the bench-top to size and fit it into such a narrow space. I never used a circular saw before, but it wasn't too hard. My favourite feature is the round sink, it is just the right size and functions really well. 

Tips:

• Look around before you start and decide what you want. Do your research first and visit some displays.
  • We decided to go for Ikea cabinets as they were affordable and ordering was so easy. In addition, they have an online design tool which is easy to use. 
  • We moved the plumbing and hid it inside one of the cabinets. It gave us more bench space and cleaner look.
  • Do the work yourself; it's not that hard, I thought it would be, but I found most of the technical advice on youtube. 
  • Shop for the best prices, I get most of my tools and materials from Bunnings, but the cabinets were from Ikea. 
  • Don't stress, take your time and it will work out fine! Take a break if you get tired. 

20200822_163854.jpeg20200824_142346.jpeg20200825_182525.jpeg20200826_150141.jpeg20200831_193349.jpeg20200829_175911.jpeg

2020-08-29 18.13.57.jpg2020-08-31 19.34.35.jpg

Laundry reno.001.jpegThe online tool helps you visualise your final designThe online tool helps you visualise your final designIt was a narrow spaceIt was a narrow space

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry renovation

Hi @Nham,

Thank you so much for showing us your laundry makeover. It's great to know that you've picked up some skills and gained confidence in using a circular saw. It looks very professionally done, I'm sure the tips and photos you've posted will come in handy for those who are thinking of remodeling their own laundry. Again thank you for sharing this project with us.

We eagerly await your next build.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fantastic work @Nham. Thanks so much for sharing detail about your project. I'm sure it will inspire and inform other Bunnings Workshop community members.

Jason

andrewh
Just Starting Out

@Nham 

Could you please tell me what benchtop and varnish you used? Thanks mate

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Hi @andrewh,

The top was solid oak from Ikea (RÅSUNDA 2460x63.5x38mm about $399), but they don't stock these anymore. Very durable and looks lovely with white cabinets. You might try the Kaboodle 2400 x 900 x 36mm Hevea Timber Benchtop from Bunnings or the Ikea KARLBY Worktop, oak/veneer.

If you go with solid wood, I prepared the surface by hand sanding with 240 grit, then applied Timber Protect One Coat Clear (water base version/gloss) using a paintbrush. Three coats were applied, leaving it to dry overnight between coats with a final sand down (hand-sanding) after the last coat.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @andrewh,

Great to see you that you've already received a helpful reply from @Nham.

Are you renovating your laundry? We'd love to hear more about the project and help along the way. Feel free to hit Start a discussion to share more.

Stevie

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Nham.

Do you happen to have any images of what your laundry looked like before the demolition? It would be fantastic to see the difference you were able to make in this space.

Stevie

kmdalby
Finding My Feet

Thank you Nham, Great work your laundry looks wonderful, can I ask how you have dealt with the washing machine drain hose?

I have a very similar narrow laundry space and would like a neat modern laundry like yours

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kmdalby. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this amazing project.

Let me mention @Nham, so they are alerted to your question. Washing machine drain hoses connect to the spigot on sink traps. I'd imagine two holes were drilled in the top back corners of the cabinet's side panels, and the hose passed through to the sink cabinet. The hose would then be connected to the sink trap.

I recommend you check out this helpful article on How to plan a laundry renovation for some great tips and our Top 10 most popular laundry renovations for inspiration.

Please keep us updated on your laundry renovation project.

Mitchell

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Hi @kmdalby 

The washing machine drainage hose was connected directly to the trap. I have attached some photos to help you out. Our cabinets were only 370mm in depth, but the wall was 550mm, so there was a gap at the back of the cabinet.  To get more space, the S trap was positioned flush against the wall. You can then run the hose directly into the trap. 

IMG_2289.jpegIMG_2288.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects