Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting a shower base

Max1
Getting Established

Painting a shower base

hi I need a bit of advice

I want to paint my shower base but am not quite sure what it is made of

it would be about 30 years old if not more

can I use White Knight tub and basin paint on it

as you can see by picture it is in pretty bad condition

replacing it is not an option

can anyone help 

7D48020F-5AAD-4736-816F-182F87126290.jpeg

SAA
Getting Established

Re: Painting a shower base

Thanks for your comments @Noyade 

I had sanded off to the base but could well have missed a spot. Makes sense. @Noyade and @EricL i am hoping to not have to re-strip this back (time frame is tight, as I’m going away in two days) can I add something here and paint over with remaining tub & basin paint? For example Zinsser primer sealer stain killer then paint over? Appreciate any remedy/advice 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting a shower base

Hello @SAA

I'm sorry but Zinsser primer is not compatible with White Knight Tub and Basin. I recommend keeping the coating you have on rather than stripping it back. The product that you've put on is actually an epoxy enamel and provides a very robust showering surface. It is formulated to be used in showers, ordinary primers and paint will just peel off in a matter of days. I'm sorry but the discolouration in your tray is just too strong. I suggest going over the discoloured spots that stand out with extra coats as suggested by the Tub and Tile paint manual. I recommend doing a light sand on the area that was missed so that you can put on a coat in that area as well. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: painting a shower base

Hi Michelle,

This information incorrect. The paint that you recommended says TUB and Basin not TUB and shower Base. 

This paint is not suitable for continuous water flow. it is mentioned on the box. The rep also mentioned it. 

please remove this comment as it is a miss leading statement and a customer has used it against us 

Thank you for your help. 

Kind Regards,

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting a shower base

Many thanks for your feedback, @Tom22

The information in this discussion is provided by the manufacturer. White Knight Tub & Basin is suitable on bath tubs, wash basins, laundry tubs, porcelain and metal surfaces. It is not suitable for continuous water immersion, which is mentioned on the box. I've double-checked the product packaging and can't find any reference to continuous water flow.

As per our recommendations, the product is only to be applied over a metal surface with a vitreous enamel coating. We've endeavoured to be very clear about the need to determine that it is a steel shower base the product is being applied over and not an acrylic one.

I'd be more than happy to follow up with the White Knight technical team if you can provide a little more information about the issues you've experienced, including what the shower base is made from.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects