Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plumbing issue - unable to unscrew faucet flange

AndrewL
Just Starting Out

Plumbing issue - unable to unscrew faucet flange

Council regulations require taps to be siliconed.  Some overzealous plumber must have siliconed the Caroma cone shaped flange making it unable to be unscrewed without damaging it.  Any solutions to unscrew the chromed flange without damaging it?unopenable flangeunopenable flange

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Plumbing issue - unable to unscrew faucet flange

Welcome to the Workshop community @GFowler.

It's great to have you join us and I'm sure @AndrewL appreciates the feedback. Do you have some stuck taps you need to deal with? If you need any advice feel free to start a new discussion so we can provide some assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diyer_amature
Getting Established

I have same issue with exactly same kind of faucet. I don't think mine is siliconed only not opened in long time. Even dousing in WD-40 and using strap wrench did not work :unhappy:

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @diyer_amature.

It's great to have you join us and I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your own taps. Have you tried taking a utility knife and running the blade around the flange between it and the sink top? After removing the tap handle what shape is the top of the spindle? If you are replacing the taps, the next more destructive tool would be multi-grips, there is a high chance of damaging the chrome flange but they are more likely to grip onto the metal.

If you continue to have issues, I would encourage you to start a new discussion with pictures of your taps so more members are able to assist with a solution.

Mitchell

Same experience here.

As you say Mitchell - in the end I had to use multigrips to remove it and filed back the minor damage which resulted, keeping in mind I "intend" to renovate the bathroom in the near future.

They are incredibly hard to get a proper grip on with your hand.

20200627_104052.jpg

Was able to use the tool shown here  https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Bathroom-and-Laundry/How-to-open-the-tap-to-replace-washer/t...

to open the cover. Now don't know how to open the spindle :unhappy:20220731_171919.jpg

Hi @diyer_amature,

A tap spanner is used to remove the spindle. Alternatively, an adjustable wrench can come in handy if the spindle is stuck.

It looks like you've already had a go at removing the spindle; what tool are you using? If the spindle doesn't want to budge, spray some WD40 into the gap I've marked below and try again the following day.

Mitchell

No luck :unhappy:

Is there any plumber serving northern Melbourne suburbs (3064)? Message me :smile:

Afternoon @diyer_amature 

"No luck"

Did you try the tap spanner that @MitchellMc suggested above? I wouldn't be using a shifter, looks like you've already burred some edges.

You can use an extra long steel rod for leverage - the ones that come with the kits are too small - in my opinion.

A nice fitting tap spanner and plenty of leverage should work.

Don't let that tap defeat you! 😁

20220802_141417.jpg

Thanks @Noyade 

I am worried that using too much force may damage the assembly under the sink. It has already started dripping a little from connecting pipe from this to the tap.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @diyer_amature

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MitchellMc and @Noyade. Just to add to the suggestions already made, I recommend using the IRWIN Plumber's Tap Spanner Set - 6 Piece. These tap spanner sets are specifically designed to fit into standard spindles and are designed not to slip out. When taps are repaired and the spindle is fitted in too tightly binding will often occur. I suggest applying steady pressure to the spindle until it begins to loosen up.

However, if after numerous attempts you are still unable to make the spindle move, I suggest posting the job on either Airtasker or Hipages. My best tip is to put in as many details as you can about the job so that you can get an immediate response.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your tapware fixed.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects