Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pull-down or retractable cupboard?

Caleb_James
Just Starting Out

Pull-down or retractable cupboard?

Hey Team

I’m looking for a storage option in my laundry room (see below) and as you can see there is a lot of empty space in the top half:

E21AAE97-6D5F-4013-9EE7-79A5CCC2F2E3.jpeg
063EA8FF-7477-451E-A862-50F9648C5840.jpeg
31C82D2A-8E5A-4CA6-AB1B-3AB107AF503E.jpeg
I was thinking a retractable/pull down cupboard would be ideal but after searching for a while I still can’t find something suitable.

Any and all ideas are welcome.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pull Down or Retractable Cupboard??

Hello @Caleb_James

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the pull-down mechanism for a cupboard.

A common wall cabinet size is 900 (W) x 720 (H) x 320 (L). The issue with a pull-down mechanism is that it conservatively takes up about 25 percent of the available space inside the cabinet. I'm just pointing out some of the drawbacks of installing such a device. It is very convenient, but due to the size of a wall cabinet, that device takes up a lot of space.

Would it be possible for you to post the measurements of the wall inside your laundry space? If you are after more storage space, I suggest using timber shelves at 400mm to 450mm deep. This will allow you to store large linen and other items you would normally would not be able to store in a wall cabinet. If reach is an issue you could always store a Syneco 100kg 3 Step Steel Household Folding Step Ladder which can be folded and stored to the side inside the laundry nook. Just keep in mind that, placing a cabinet or shelf inside your laundry space needs to be accessible and reachable. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the new addition to your laundry.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Eric

Thanks for taking the time Mate.

The measurements for the “useable space” where stored items would be readily accessible is 1270 (W) x 560 (H) x 710 (L).

This leaves 521mm of “unusable space” from the top of the laundry’s door frame to the ceiling.

A possible solution I’ve found is repurposing towel holders:

85E57EFC-27B5-43FE-A3E8-47CD8923FBA8.jpeg

I’m thinking these would offer enough storage and still allow ventilation for the washing machine.

Thoughts?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Caleb_James

I'm a big fan of wire shelving as it allows you to put a great deal of linen on top of it and still allows it to breathe. I suggest using Flexi Storage 1225 x 335mm White Front A Wire Shelf. You can have it as a double or triple level. It's lightweight yet very strong. The best part is that you can use the front of the wire shelf as a bar to hook your hangers. Have a look at this discussion - Fixing laundry system without studs by @desaiadi. You'll see in the discussion what the wire shelves look like installed.

However, if you wish to build your own shelving from timber. I suggest using a 2200 x 600 x 26mm Beech Laminated Panel in combination with Carinya 300 x 250 x 20mm Black Studio Bracket - single. The panel will have to be cut with your circular saw to the size that you need.  

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects