Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repair cracked shower base

stasiagarraway
Just Starting Out

Repair cracked shower base

Hi there,

I am attempting a cosmetic makeover on my tired 30 year old bathroom.

My shower pan has a rather large and deep crack in it that I’d like to repair. The shower floor is a little spongy around the crack, but will be filled with expanding foam to secure it.

1. What is the best and easiest way to repair the crack and drill holes from the filler, that will allow me to paint over them?    

2. What paint should I use to paint the shower base once it is repaired?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repair cracked shower base

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @stasiagarraway. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on repairing shower bases.

It sounds like our helpful members will need to see some images of the damage you're trying to fix to offer a solution. A cracked shower pan and spongy floor do not sound great, and I suspect this is something that expanding won't fix on its own. Before repairing the damage, my first concern is the integrity of your waterproofing membrane/shower pan. A spongy floor would indicate significant damage to the underlying structure and could suggest a breached waterproofing membrane/shower pan.

From what you have described, this sounds like an extensive repair is needed. The tiles and shower pan will need to be removed, any damage to the floors structure assessed and repaired, waterproofing membrane re-applied/shower pan replaced, and tiling redone.

I look forward to seeing some images of the damage and offering some suggestions for repairing the area.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects