Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacement toilet tank

Peter7
Just Starting Out

Replacement toilet tank

I have just found a crack in my 20 year old Fowler toilet tank. Purchased an Estilo replacement tank but the existing mounting bolts don't line up with the new tank holes. Will have to drill 3 new holes through tiles and wet-area sheeting to fit wall plugs for Estilo mounting bracket but suspect I will not be drilling into timber. Worried that bracket might not support tank. Would appreciate any thoughts??  Thankyou. Peter

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Replacement toilet tank

Hi @Peter7,

Sounds like a tricky one. Normally @MitchellMc would be more than happy to promptly assist but he is enjoying a well-earned break this week. I will ask him to help when he is back online next week, but in the meantime let me tag other helpful members who might like to share their thoughts: @LePallet, @JDE, @redracer01, @ProjectPete

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Peter7,

I believe the manufacturer's intention is for you to use the wall plugs to secure the cistern to the tiles and sheeting. If it were designed to be screwed into timber, then they wouldn't have included wall plugs. There is potential to use wall toggles instead of the plugs, which would grip the sheeting better.

Let me mention @TedBear to see what his opinion is about fixing only to the tiles and sheeting.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I think that Mitchell is correct.  If there are 3 holes to use for mounting, then 3 toggles would hold the unit, especially as there would be timber nearby, which the paneling (stiffened by tiles) is attached to.  The problem with toggles is the size of the holes you need to make in the tiles, but without seeing the supplied wall plugs, toggles would be a safer bet to take the weight without having any timber to screw to.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects