Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing a shower bath

LorraineB
Getting Established

Replacing a shower bath

We need to replace a shower bath that is in a relocatable home , the shower bath is too hard for me to step into , 

and would like it changed to a walk in shower in  the cheapest way to do it, .

The shower is in a laundry combined area little hard to take a photo but here is the photo of the shower bath ., we have since removed the glass screens and added a curtain but still need to have a walk in one to make it easier .. measurements are approx 31 x 36 .... hope someone can help as we need someone to do the job as not able to do any manual work at all ..

Thanks so much any help really appreciated or any guide to who we can get to help or do the job.   regards Lorraine Beard.. . 

74330873_762724970837020_6837032084859518976_n.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Replacing a shower bath

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LorraineB. We're so glad you could join us and trust that you'll get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for projects of all shapes and sizes around the house and garden. Our members are constantly sharing helpful suggestions and amazing projects. 

Let me tag a few members with plumbing and bathroom renovation experience who might like to share their thoughts with you: @Former Workshop member, @JDE, @redracer01

It might also help if you could share a sketch of the dimensions of the whole room and its other components. I know Red in particular loves to create 3D designs for people to visualise how they could transform a room.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with anything. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @LorraineB 

Converting your step in shower to a walk in shower is involved. Since you wish to not step in to your shower this eliminates the suggestion of using PVC tray shower kits as they are at least 100mm tall. If you plan on tiling as an alternative you will need the services of a proper shower installer. Removal of the old shower, water proofing, re-tiling and installation of a new walk in shower will be high on the list of things to do. I suggest visiting a Bunnings store near your area and ask them for possible alternatives to your situation. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LorraineB,

I presume that pre-fab shower recess is some type of plastic or perhaps fibreglass depending on the age. I would think there is potential for someone to cut out the front portion and re-fibreglass the entrance. There would be a reasonable amount of work involved but potentially less than a complete fit-out and re-tile. It's a bit hard to tell from the images but the lowest possible point you could reduce the front to would be the height of the inner tray. If that was above the current floor level there might still be a minimal step-up onto the tray. I've included an image below of some suggested cut lines which would then need to be re-sealed and finished with fibreglass.

You might like to consider posting the job on Airtasker to see if there is someone who would be able to take on this fibreglassing job.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

Shower.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

What you say makes sense and we would get that done as it will be easier than removing the whole shower , we just had new

taps installed and shower head so this would save a lot too , we don`t have the shower screen on it now my husband removed that,

so its just the frame with a curtain on it.. I`ll message Air tasker and mention what is suggested and see how they can help 

and able to put us with someone that can do it.. thanks so much for suggesting this.. we don`t have much spare cash so this would help

us immensely.. I`ll let you know how I go .. thanks so much it is so appreciated .. 

Regards Lorraine. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects