Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Small laundry makeover on a budget

Kys
Growing in Experience

Small laundry makeover on a budget

Hi, 

I would love some advice for what to do with our laundry. The key points to note are we are a family of seven so needs to be usable, we need some storage for the mop and bucket, cleaning chemicals bought in 4lt bottles, washing machine is a top loader and is new so can not be replaced, tumble dryer can be wall mounted, I would prefer not to replace the trough but this will get sanded back and painted (advice on this is welcome). Also the back door we are happy for that to be closed off.

The room size is 248cm long, 152cm wide, trough is 61cm long 47cm wide, there is a 20cm gap between the washer and trough, washer is 63cm long and 67cm wide, when the door opens there is 67cm from wall to door edge. Door opening to end of wall is 158cm.

Black dot on drawing between trough and washer is the waste water pipe for the washing machine.

IMG20210801152318.jpg

 From doorway looking to the back door

IMG20210801151100.jpg

 From doorway looking straight ahead

IMG20210801151055.jpg

IMG20210801151048.jpg

 Wall with door on it

IMG20210801151043.jpg

  Please excuse the clutter, the laundry becomes a dumping ground

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Small laundry makeover on a budget

Hi @Kys,

We're looking forward to seeing how you can transform you laundry (with a little bit of help and inspiration from the wonderful Workshop community).

Let me tag @EricL to share his thoughts on your plans. Experienced renovators @prettyliving and @ProjectPete might also like to provide valuable input. 

Have you checked out our Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects? I would also recommend you watch the fabulous laundry makeover from the Make It Happen team

Hope that helps get you started.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kys

Thank you so much for sharing the photos and measurements of your laundry.

I understand how much you wish to have better use of the space in your laundry. I've drawn up a quick sketch of a suggested layout. I considered putting your dryer above the washer but it made the room look even more crowded. Here are the suggested changes.

I also suggest painting the door and window trims white. Please have a look at the drawings and if you wish to see them in another configuration, please let me know. 

Let me tag our experienced members @Gillgirl and @RohanH for their recommendations.

Here is a handy link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects

If you need more ideas and inspiration, please let us know.

Eric

Kys
Growing in Experience

Thank you Eric, i really like the design layout you have done, I was thinking of removing the door completely, but a sliding door is a great idea, only thing to note is the door is on the longer wall, I'm not a skilled drawer! The bench would be very handy, is this secured via brackets on the wall?

I really appreciate the input and the links to the products! Today I visited Bunnings, fourth visit in four days, and got sand paper and spray to revamp the laundry trough as there are rust patches, and a lovely colour for the walls so in the next week between kids therapy appointments the plan is to revamp the trough and paint the walls

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Kys 

How much space do you have between the washer and the dryer?

Depending on that space, you may be able to push the dryer up against the washer and then put a broom cupboard against the wall in the corner (where the dryer is now). Then put a benchtop over the dryer and put wall cabinets or shelving above dryer, washer and trough to utilise that empty wall space. 
That way you can keep the door where is, otherwise if you choose to close off the door you could add more cabinets along that other wall too. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kys

I'm glad the layout gave you ideas. Yes, the benchtop is held in with angle brackets. It is a handy space to have for folding clothes. I encourage you to explore the possibility of putting in Easycraft EasyVJ Panels. Just installing some on as an accent makes such a difference. 

Here is a link to one of our featured projects: VJ paneling feature wall by @craftyhopper

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your laundry renovated.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @prettyliving

Thank you so much for the recommendations. Let me tag @Kys to make them aware of your suggestions. I was thinking that a broom cupboard would fit into the space you mentioned. But based on her provided measurements we would be short by 30mm. However, I think it is best explored once the dryer is actually pushed against the washing machine and the measurement is taken again. If it even goes past a little over 600mm the cupboard would fit in neat.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects