Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Spindle extenders

sam6
Finding My Feet

Spindle extenders

Hi , I purchased a mondella ceramic Shower set and my spindles are not long enough because the breech is set too far back. I ordered a set of ceramic disk extenders from my local Bunnings store however they didn't have any in stock so i purchased a set from your competitor. I installed them however when i turned the water back on from the mains i now cant turn the water off from the taps in the shower.

Do i need to buy specific spindle extenders for mondella spindles? If so which type are they? Or do i need to make an adjustment to the Mondella spindle to ensure that the spindle seal is seated correctly against the extender mating surface ?

I went onto the Mondella website however all they did was refer me back to Bunnings. I would appreciate some help

Regards

Sam

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Spindle Extenders

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sam6. It's brilliant that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question on tap spindles.

Not being able to turn the water back off at the taps is a classic sign that the spindle seal is not mating against the extender's surface. You'll need to undo the nut on the spindle and screw the spindle's shaft in further. It's a similar issue whether you are using extenders or not. With mine, I found the easiest way to do it was to undo the nut almost completely, screw in the spindle until it bottoms out against the extender's mating surface and then tighten the nut down. 

If you leave the nut on the spindle, in the position it was in out of the box, it will probably contact the extender's rim before the seal mating, as was the case with my installation.

Failing this working, if you would like to post an image of the extenders you are using, I'm sure our helpful members will have some suggestions for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. But i ended up refacing both the breech and the new extenders. when i refaced both it worked. Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sam6,

It's sensational to hear that you got it sorted. Well done!

Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have a project you'd like to share around the home or garden.

Mitchell

Eli_Peters
Just Starting Out

Re: Spindle extenders

The thickness of the wall including tile, glue, render and plasterboard/brick the placement of these spindles are too short. The packs should come with spindle extenders that mate to these style of fixtures or else mount the breech on the outside or flush with the plaster board

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Spindle extenders

Hello @Eli_Peters 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with the community. 

We're keen to hear more about all your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out whenever you need assistance or would like to share a project with the community.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects