Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tap came off the wall

HH1
Just Starting Out

Tap came off the wall

I had a leaky tap on the wall. So, I pulled it apart and put on new o-ring and tap valve. I put the tap back, screwed it back to the wall, but now when I turn on the tap, the whole tap will come off the wall. I saw that when I turn on the tap, the whole bonnet also turn with the spindle and that's how it came off the wall. Can someone help explain why it would turn and why it's not screwed properly to the wall? Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tap came off the wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @HH1. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about your tap.

How did you unscrew the tap from the wall? Did you use a tap spanner to tighten the spindle securely into the wall when re-installing? Did you re-apply the thread tape?

If you're using a tap spanner to re-install the spindle, you shouldn't then be able to undo it by hand. It sounds like the spindle wasn't tightened enough when you re-installed it. If it wasn't tightened correctly, the spindle would un-screw when you go full open lock on the handle. Or, if the spindle was really loosely installed, it will undo when you open the tap at all.

Once I know that you installed it with a spanner and it was locked off tightly, we can try to troubleshoot other reasons this could occur.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tap came off the wall

How are you going with your tap @HH1? Did you manage to successfully install it?

Please let us know if you're continuing to have difficulties and we'll try our best to assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects