Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix water running consistently in toilet?

maryy2153
Just Starting Out

How to fix water running consistently in toilet?

IMG_3410.png

IMG_3410.png

Hi,

I am having some leaking issues with my toilet. When the lid is on in a specific way, the toilet drips internally at varying levels. The toilet also doesn’t refill after it flushes. If it does refill after the flush it never stops filling and the lid needs to be adjusted to stop the water again.

When the lid is off as in pic, the water does not stop running. I have changed the float thing to varying levels to no effect. The only thing that helps is pressing the blue part in the picture into the white part, but I can’t keep that up without physically holding it together.

Additionally, there does not seem to be any valve that isolates the toilet. There is only that pipe you see there with no option to switch off. There are no other pipes on the sides or behind the toilet. I live in an apartment and there doesn’t seem to be any water mains anywhere, there are taps under my sink but it only seems to affect the sink. 

If anyone has any idea on how to fix this please let me know. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water runs consistently in toilet, also seems to be no shut off valve?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @maryy2153. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a leaking toilet.

You might like to start by reading through this helpful guide: How to fix a leaking toilet. There are typically two scenarios that cause leaks. The first is that the inlet valve washer needs to be replaced, and the second is that the flush valve washer needs to be replaced. Since pushing down on the blue section cuts the water off, it sounds like the inlet valve washer might need replacing.

It's a bit unusual that moving the lid would have any effect, as whether it is on or off shouldn't matter. 

Unfortunately, being unable to isolate the toilet would make it difficult to replace parts. You might need to speak with some other residents or the body corporate to find out where the building isolation valve is.

Take a look at the guide above and let us know how you go.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Water runs consistently in toilet, also seems to be no shut off valve?

I'm no plumber - but a lazy hooker direct from the water supply to the float valve. Is this common?

EDIT:  Forget that, they would all do that. Just got confused with the side entry. ☹️

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects