Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to start with first-time DIY bathroom renovation?

kw
Getting Established

Where to start with first-time DIY bathroom renovation?

Hello Bunnings buddies!

I've recently moved and want to give the bathroom a fresh look (no pink mushroom pink baths and floral tiles). This would be my first ever project. I want to keep the basic layout and replace with more modern but affordable features. Where should I start and what do I need! 

bathroom.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: First Time DIY Bathroom Renovation

Hello @kw

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about renovating your bathroom.

I suggest having a quick read of this guide - How to plan a bathroom renovation by @Adam_W. It should give you some ideas of what you need to consider when making your plans for your bathroom renovation. If you are planning a full bathroom renovation the general sequence is usually demolition, area preparation, waterproofing, tiling and then installation of the bathroom appliances.

Having all the materials available in your home will minimize delays, this includes all the appliances and accessories you might want in your bathroom. Please keep in mind that your local council will have rules and regulations regarding waterproofing and the installation of plumbing fittings. It's best to check these rules and regulations before you start working on your bathroom. 

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular bathroom projects.

Here are some bathroom renovation projects our Workshop members have shared:

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your bathroom renovation.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Hey @kw ,

You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish with just paint. If you're just giving it a facelift, consider painting the walls, wall tiles & window trims a nice, brighter (often whiter) colour. Bunnings have a great tutorial on this already. If I were in your position, I would replace the vanity, though you could also accomplish a lot by painting the base unit, updating the handles, acquiring a nice contrasting top to place over the old unit and updating the sink (including tap & handles). 

Sub out the Square mirror with a circular one (it's in right now), if it's a primary bathroom you can double this as a medicine cabinet as well.

Painting the frame of your shower (and the window frame) can also brighten up the room (or create a nice contrast if going with colours like black). First, clean your frame and doors. Once dry, use a combo of painters tape and either plastic or paper sheets to protect the glass & tiles, then go to town with a spray paint of choice (remember to wear a mask and open that window) I would use a Rustoleum clean metal primer first then use a Rustoleum Protective Enamel Satin in a colour of your choice. 

You can also paint the bath, super easy once you understand how. Here is a tutorial from Bunnings

I can't see the 4th wall, but I'd grab a larger towel rack and install that. Heated ones are super affordable now

Finally, I'd finish all that off by painting the floor tiles (can't go wrong with a nice bright white, though contrasts look nice here). Again, Bunnings have a great tutorial on this already. 

And that's everything. Hope it helps :smile: 

Remarka6le
kw
Getting Established

Thank you so much! My cousin is a painter and has said painting baths and tiles etc don’t last very long and chip very easily. This was my first idea but he was very firmly against me doing it! If it would last long and not deteriorate this would be my go to and save me a lot of time and effort 😂

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kw,

It comes down to the preparation of the bath and tiles. Feedback from our members and my personal experience indicates that if the surfaces are prepped well, then wall tiles and bath coatings last exceptionally well. Many of our members report back after a considerable amount of time that the coatings have stood up great. Several years ago, I painted my bath with Tub & Tile, and it has been just fine. There are a couple of chips from the kids playing with hard toys in it, but it still looks ten times better than the previous pink colour. Typically, it takes a hard object to chip any type of paint, and not often do you touch wall tiles and nothing hard really goes in a bath.

My only concern with painting floor tiles is if you're in a shoes-on house. If you carry small rocks in on the bottom of your shoes, they will scratch the coating. It's really a case of rejuvenation versus renovation. For the cost of the paint, you could refresh the whole bathroom. Even if this is a temporary coating, it sure beats paying thousands to have the area retiled if that's not in your budget.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects