Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which insulation product can I use to wrap the hot water cylinder?

kail85
Just Starting Out

Which insulation product can I use to wrap the hot water cylinder?

I have an old hot water cylinder and it touches a bit warm. I'm thinking to wrap it with insulation materials to prevent heat loss, so hopefully my power bill will be less. Just wonder what kind of insulation product shall I use? Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which insulation product can I use to wrap the hot water cylinder

Hello @kail85 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your hot water cylinder.

Can you please tell us the size of the hot water cylinder? There should be a paper tag stuck on the body of the cylinder with its information printed on it. In the meantime, let me make some inquiries regarding hot water cylinder insulators. Once I have more information, I'll get back to you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kail85
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

The cylinder measures at 95 cm tall with a diameter of about 50cm. A paper tag says its capacity 135. I guess it means liter. 

Thanks, Kyle

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kail85 

Thank you for your patience, I've spoken to our supplier, and they've suggested using Earthwool Space Blanket R1.8 75mm x 1200mm x 10000mm 12m² Insulation Metal Roof in conjunction with Foilboard 50mm x 50m Aluminium Tape or similar. Just keep in mind that the insulation faces towards the hot water cylinder and the foil faces outside. As for the remainder, I propose wrapping the hot water pipes coming out of the cylinder.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

kail85
Just Starting Out

Hi @EricL ,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I'm based in Wellington, New Zealand. Seems the earthwool space blanket product is not available in Bunnings NZ. I wonder if there's a similar product.

Thanks

Kyle

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kail85 

Let me make further inquiries regarding the hot water cylinder wraps. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects