Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

laundry reno coastal vibe

jhicks
Getting Established

laundry reno coastal vibe

hi we are going to renovate our laundry and would like some design help please, our laundry is set out as below the doors and window and washing machine have to stay where they are. but we are open to anything else. we are not sure if we can put a dryer above the washer or not. we were thinking of putting a bench top al the way across the washer and to the end wall. on the other wall we need a linen closet and a cuboard for the vacumn, broom, mop and we would like a draw with a pull out ironing board and if there is overhead cupboard we want them to the ceiling, then we would need a pull out draw step as I am short.

the distance between door and window is 550mm the overall size of room is 2920 x 2020 i would appreciate any help and advise thank you 

Janine 

old laundryold laundry

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: laundry reno coastal vibe

Welcome to the Workshop community @jhicks. Many thanks for your questions, I'd be happy to give you some ideas.

I've taken the liberty of popping your measurements into the Kaboodle kitchen planner and having a look at some options. I don't believe there will be enough room to have the dryer above the washing machine as it will encroach on the window, although you should be able to have it underneath as pictured. I've also included two pantry cupboards, one to hang linen and the other to store your vacuum, mop and broom.

The planner is free to use and you might like to check out some different finishes that are available.

I hope this design is of inspiration towards your final choices, please let me know if you need further advice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @MitchellMc 

Nice work buddy! looks like someone has been trying their hand with the Bunnings kitchen software!  

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

jhicks
Getting Established

Thank you for doing this I have tried to do a layout on the site and cannot figure it out  yes I do like the idea but I think I need more linen space if those cupboard are on the smaller in width  But I like the look thank you again 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback @jhicks. If you could tell us what you're having trouble with in regards to the planner, we would be happy to assist. 

Let me also tag creative member @prettyliving who recently shared their laundry renovation on the site to see if she might have some thoughts about how to get more linen space. 

You might have also recently seen this great project by @Jimi - Laundry reno - who might also be able to join in the discussion. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @jhicks 

Here are some suggestions. Cheers! Red

jhicksfront.jpgjhicks1.jpgjhicks2.jpgjhicks3.jpgjhicks4.jpgjhicks5.jpgjhicks6.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

jhicks
Getting Established

hi Red thank you for these suggestions now the choice is a little harder for us, we like the last one for one wall as we need space for linen in our laundry. what cupboard did you choose for the shorter one that has the stool under it please, this would be a handy thing for me to reach the top part of the cupboard as I am short. May I ask what program did you use to draw this up please. The tile on the wall is that pattern available at Bunnings. I have a question about the floor if you have any advice that would be good. we have tiles in the laundry floor at the moment I was wondering if we wanted to put vinyl flooring down would we have to take tiles up first or could we put them over the top of tiles and how much height would be added to the floor. TIA 

Janine 

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

@jhicks what if you did a layout like @MitchellMc did up but have one of those wall mounted iron boards on the middle wall and then on the wall opposite the sink fill entirely with tall cupboards to maximise your storage? 

6C0293C4-5F68-4F1B-AB56-8C0DAEED6556.jpeg

hi I would love to do that but by the time we put the cupboards all along one wall and the sink, washing machine, dryer on the other there is only 800 in the space between but I would love one or even trying to incorporate a pull out draw ironing board. looking for ideas for the ironing board. does any one know of a web site with different fold out ironing boards I am thinking if I can get one that folds out but swivels would work on the bench top off the wall I have seen one on pinterest that goes length ways under bench but cant find where to buy it. thank you for the recommendation though

Janine 

Hello @jhicks 

I totally agree with @prettyliving her suggestion of a Robinhood Ironing center is a fantastic  idea. I would however mount it internally on the other wall. I've attached some diagrams to show the space that will be left once the Ironing center has been attached. You can also check on dimensions for the ironing center online. Whether you go for the straight drop down or the drop "n" twist both will fit into the remaining space and have just enough room for you to do some ironing. The tile I used for your splash back is called Light Grey Moroccan Bazaar but you can achieve the same effect with any printed tile as long as it is light grey. The technique is often used to add pattern to a room that needs to be very bright but at the same time have a bit of texture in it. The flooring is actually a hybrid click on laminate. It's best for high moisture areas as it is totally water proof there are several colors to choose from just check on the Bunnings site. Yes you can go right over your existing tiles just as long as there are no doors swinging into the room. If there are you will have to adjust these doors to suit. By using click laminate on flooring you will possibly add anywhere from 6 to 8mm of thickness. The other option is Vinyl flooring there are some similar faux timber patterns that will enhance that coastal look your going for. After looking at your design, I would suggest to just use 3 x 600 mm pantry cabinets and just get a folding step stool  that you can either hang or tuck in a corner, that way you get maximum linen storage. The stool in cabinet effect looks nice but takes away too much linen space. Practicality over looks? your choice my of course. I use free software called "Sketchup" and I've been using it for several years now and has improved immensely since its early days. Goodluck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

jhicksiron1.jpgjhicksiron2.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects