Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice on pallet table for monitor

Dark
Having an Impact

Advice on pallet table for monitor

Hey all im just about to put my project together but looking on the different ways of putting it together. what would be the best way to make sure its strong.. first  image is having the sides underneath with an extra small  bit to support. The small bit will be screwed and sides will be glued. 

20191128_164029.jpg

Second image has the side parts directly to the side with the small support underneath. 

20191128_164151.jpg

So question is which will be the best in terms of structual strength? Weight on top will be around 20kg. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: advice on pallet table for monitor

Looks like a great project @Dark.

Let me tag a couple of very helpful members in @r23on and @woodenwookie who might like to kick off the discussion for you.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

To me it is only as strong as the weakest point.
Appearance wise legs underneath will be a better looking option.
Weight from the top is going to make it want to bow and that if it happens it will make the legs splay out putting extra strain on them.
Not sure if you want to use the gap as storage space? I would so I would go with a piece across the back that would both reduce any bowing and strengthen the legs, front and back would be better but you lose any storage space then.
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Dark looks good! Having assembled a few of these for my kids has shown me some critical lessons.

1. Legs always on the bottom. Never at the side. My first build I placed the legs on the outside/out and sure enough it became gaped because the timber started to shrink it did not look good and was prone to swaying.

2. Always place a bracing piece at the back to prevent shearing and swawing should the desk get accidentally moved.

3 If the shelf is 20mm and the support piece is 20mm then it should be enough to have a screw 30mm/35mm long

4 Always have a center support. 20kg is a lot of weight, I too thought that the monitors were not that heavy. My son called me in after 3 months and sure enough it was bowed.

5 Unless its in your office or somewhere away where the missus can't see it, paint it!

Cheers!

I vote for under the shelf as this has worked for me in the past. Always have a center support to prevent bowing.I vote for under the shelf as this has worked for me in the past. Always have a center support to prevent bowing.A supporting long piece, drilled both into the legs and shelf to prevent swayng and shearing.A supporting long piece, drilled both into the legs and shelf to prevent swayng and shearing.Just in case you want to see what it looks like underneath.Just in case you want to see what it looks like underneath.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Danger Will Robinson! I built a variation of this, works fantastic!Danger Will Robinson! I built a variation of this, works fantastic!If you ever find yourself bored withe time on your hands give this a go. It will hold all your consoles.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

I was looking at my project today and after seeing ya design it def made things make more sence now i can actually see it. Thanks heaps

I would cut the supports half the thickness of the timber again then do a rabbet half the thickness of the timber where the legs would join. Make sure the fit is tight. This will provide support at the top which would prevent the legs from moving too much as well because the rabbet would want to hold everything square.

I’m actually in the process of building a monitor stand myself and it has rabbets for the shelves, the ends, as well as a back panel. It eliminates the need for a centre leg as well. Once I’m done cutting the rabbets I’ll post photos so you get an idea how it all goes together
woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Re: Advice on pallet table for monitor

So this is what my project looks like.

Rabbets all cut outRabbets all cut out

Top removedTop removed

Close up of rabbetsClose up of rabbets

All of these photos are showing pre-glueup and fit nicely just through weight alone. As you can see the whole thing wants to square itself up because rabbets are generally a 90º cut.

The shelf is supported on three sides and so is pretty strong even with the length.

I ended up glueing and using 18mm brad nails to hold it all together.

Very nice!

20191209_151454.jpg

So heres the final product. Much appreciated to the guy with the sketch up above this post. Was a good learning curve considering i lack the woodwork skills but a bit of research got me curious on the different ways i could of done this. I saw the other posts and yep i may just build something similar again. Stay tuned 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects