Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best double sided tape for brick?

Maureen53
Finding My Feet

Best double sided tape for brick?

I'm fitting a magnetic fly screen in front of my single garage door and want to use the best one. 

I want to place the tape on the brick work around the outside of the door.

It will replace the tape included with the magnetic screen for a stronger one. I'll then add a magnetic tape to then secure the insect screen with its magnetic tape. 

Can you advise the best strongest tape that will withstand weather conditions please?

I've watched the reviews for nano tape and it won't last and the reviews on your website for clear Gorilla tape aren't good either. 

Thank you. 

Regards, 

Maureen

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: best double sided tape for brick

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Maureen53. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about double-sided tape.

Using double-sided tape on brickwork wouldn't be my first choice for securing something to it. Because of the brick being extremely rough and porous, most tapes will have trouble adhering to it. Mounting tapes really excel on smooth surfaces where there is a lot of contact area.

Are you able to attach the fly screen on the inside? Perhaps the magnetic strip could be screwed into the brickwork in the corners to assist the double-sided tape. You might like to post an image of the door, so our members have a better idea of where you would like to attach the strip.

Let me mention @redracer01 and @TedBear to see if they have any recommendations.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Maureen53 

Are you in a rental property or is this your property? If it is perhaps we can attach the magnetic fly screen in a more permanent manner? Yes? No? If the latter then we can give you excellent suggestions for permanent fixing. If not we will have to think of something else.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thank you Red,

It is my property.

I have a panel roller door where the rails sit alongside each side.

The screen can't be attached permanently as I enter from the garage.

Best scenario would be to find a glue to attach pieces of velcro to the brick on either the outside or inside of the doorway.

I could then attach the velcro to the flyscreen edges too.

My problem is finding a glue that will hold the velcro permanently.

Thanks for your interest and reply.

Maureen

Hi @Maureen53,

The back of single-sided Velcro is very smooth and plastic-like. A construction adhesive could do the job if you used double-sided velcro on either the hooks or loops side. I'd still strongly advise that the Velcro is also mechanically fixed to the wall. With the constant pulling on it to remove the flyscreen, the fixings will ensure it isn't pulled off. You could do this with a STAHL Masonry Kit 7mm Drill With 25mm Green Wall Plugs. The plugs would be installed in the wall, and the Velcro glued over them. Washers could be placed onto the screws before fixing them through the Velcro into the wall plugs. The washers ensure the screw heads don't pull through the Velcro. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects