Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you lay floorboards over concrete?

Gekman
Getting Established

Can you lay floorboards over concrete?

Hi all, 

I'm looking to convert my garage into a second lounge room and would dearly appreciate some advice re flooring. The current floor in the garage is plain concrete, and I'd like to match as close as I can to the floorboards in the rest of the house (see picture). Is setting floorboards over concrete feasible or must I simply go the floating floor route? If the latter which type would best suit to match the my other floorboards and look and feel as real wood as possible? Many thanks in advance! 

Screenshot_20220310-155837_Realestate.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice on flooring in Garage

Hello @Gekman

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about putting flooring in your garage.

Is it possible to put timber floorboards directly over concrete? While you can install timber flooring directly on top of your concrete surface, it isn't advisable. Concrete is porous and soaks up moisture, leading to vapour damage on your timber floorboards. The same thing will happen if you put in ordinary timber-based floating floor panels.

The best flooring to put in is Hybrid Waterproof Flooring. They have the same installation system as floating floors but are made of non-organic material. They are totally waterproof and are usually used in high moisture areas such as bathrooms and laundries. They have a wide range of timber finishes to choose from. I suggest visiting your local store and seeing which one has the same finish as your timber flooring at home. 

To prevent moisture from passing through the joints of the hybrid flooring panel, I suggest putting down Grunt 2 x 20m Black 200um Ultra Tough Plastic Film. Make sure to overlap the plastic over each other and tape the joins to prevent movement.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @tom_builds for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gekman
Getting Established

Re: Advice on flooring in Garage

Thanks very much, Eric! Appreciate you taking the time to advise! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects