Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint vinyl?

Nettie
Getting Established

Can you paint vinyl?

I  have an old bar that has maroon coloured vinyl around the outside.  It's it possible to paint,  rather than replace,  the vinyl? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting vinyl

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Nettie. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

Is it a soft vinyl or more similar to a hard laminate? You might like to post some images so our members better understand the project you are completing.

If it is vinyl, then spray paints that adhere well to plastic can often work. The Squirts range by White Knight adheres best to plastic. However, you might like to do a test section on an inconspicuous area before committing to the whole surface. There are also vinyl dyes, which can be quite effective.

As for laminate, the Dulux Renovation range is a real standout, with many of our members using it successfully within their kitchens on cabinetry and benchtops.

I look forward to hearing more about your project and finding a solution to painting your vinyl surface.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nettie
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

The bar is a bit hard to get to at present (renos) but it is soft vinyl.  I have taken a photo of the top corner I could get to.

I will check out the Squirts Range.

Thanks Mitchell

Vinyl on barVinyl on bar

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for the additional picture and for confirming that it is vinyl, @Nettie.

As I mentioned earlier, try a test section first. I'd also advise you to investigate vinyl dyes as there are many products available specifically for this purpose.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects