Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use an Ozito spray gun with metallic paint?

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Can you use an Ozito spray gun with metallic paint?

I'm about to do a bit of a touch up on the paint in our ute. Can you guys tell me if the ozito power gun is ok to use with metalic paint? And if you have any experience with it? Thanks

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: ozito spray gun

Hello @nerea 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop and thank you for sharing your query with the community. The Ozito 400 power paint spray gun is rated for both water and oil based paints. I have heard of electric airless sprayers used as automotive sprayers. There are dozens of videos showing diyers using an electric spray gun to paint their cars. However there are several conditions to actually using the sprayer. If you are just going for a touch up then this would be be possible.

- A great amount of reducer may have to be used on the actual paint to allow the electric pump to work with the automotive paint. If the paint is too thick a phenomenon known as spitting will occur where while you use the sprayer you get little spits of paint flying out of the sprayer ruining the finish.

- The spray pressure may not be uniform unless the paint formula and reducer was exactly the same on the first run of painting.

- The electric spray gun due to its nature sprays in an atomized mist, you may therefore have to use more coats on the ute.

- The spray window or pattern on the electrics is very limited compared to a proper air sprayer that has a wide window and has paint spray control.

How and where you spray paint your ute will determine its final finish. Too dusty and the dust will stick to the finish, too windy and you get paint runs, too cold and you get moisture damage on the finish. I suggest buying a small tin and having a test and practice to see if you can determine the proper mix of paint and reducer. You can also ask at your local automotive spare part shop for more tips on painting. Please note that the atomized spray of the paint is a hazard to your health, I strongly suggest proper PPE before attempting the project. Goodl luck and we look forward to your post of your finished project.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2021-05-16 Ozito 400W Power Paint Spray Gun.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nerea,

It's great to see that the knowledgeable @redracer01 has already offered advice on using the Ozito 400W Power Paint Spray Gun for automotive purposes. A concern I have with using the electric version is that, in my experience, they occasionally will splutter droplets onto the surface you're painting. This isn't an issue when painting a wall or a fence, but these droplets will need to be sanded back to achieve a great finish on your panels.

Another option that could give you a better finish would be hiring an Air Compressor for a few hours and using an Ozito 160-240ml/min Gravity Feed Spray Gun. This type of spray gun is designed specifically for automotive purposes and is more similar to what a professional spray painter would use.

Please let us know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nerea
Cultivating a Following

Hey 

Sorry my lare replay. Thank you very much for all your advise. Its all done now. Looks beaitiful

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Hey Mitch.

Ive follow your advise, rented a compressor and got that spray gun. Ute look awesome just waiting on the paint to settle and will polish it. Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Awesome stuff @nerea! I'm glad that worked out for you.

How did you find the sprayer? Was it easy to use?

Please update us with some pictures when you are finished, as I trust our members would enjoy seeing your results.

Mitchell

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Yes was pretty easy. We just got a good paint and thiners and was very easy to use and so much diferent than other powered guns I used in the pass. Definetly the way to go for my paint progects from now on. Can you tell me if I can use that gun for all tipes of pain? I'm thinking of enamel paint. Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

With the correct amount and type of thinner @nerea, you should be able to use that spray gun with most paints. It's always a good idea to do a test section first before committing to the final project.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects