Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Carport concrete

krishna
Growing in Experience

Carport concrete

Hi All,

This is my first post here so please excuse me if any mistakes.

I am planning to make a carport for my second car. It is not going to be any roof so no approval required from council (confirmed).

The area is 4x4 so 16m2 in total. It is going to be used regularly I want to make it 3 inches thick with iron re enforced. 

Now I have never did any thing like this but want to do it my self due to what the local guys asking for it.

What my understanding is:

1. Dig the area with atleast 10 cm depth

2. Use good weed killer and weed mat.

3. Use the base material (which I don't know what to use)

4. Compact it with plate compactor(available from bunnings for hire)

5. Use some liner for waterproofing.

6. Use iron mesh for re enforcing.

7. May be get premix concrete.

I got all the above from reading but as I am new to this, a bit nervous on starting.

Can some one please help me with suggestions or any videos that I can refer.

Thank you,

Krishna

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Carport concrete

Sounds like a great project @krishna. Good on you for taking it on. I'm sure our helpful Workshop community members will be happy to help as much as they can. 

Welcome to the community and please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Welcome @krishna :smile:

Firstly, your pad needs to be a minimum 100mm as it will have heavy load on it and should be 32MPa. For 16sqm @ 100mm thick you'll need at least 1.6cbm so you're definitely best of getting this delivered as it's a lot to mix in a small mixer.

To be honest, for the amount of work involved in prep, sourcing rebar and having the cement delivered only to have to spread/level/trowel it yourself, you may find you're better off paying someone this time round.

A professional comes with all the gear. Expect to pay $50sqm for standard concrete ($800) to pay someone. They may charge for a minium 20sqm so you'd be looking at $1000.

For you to do it alone you need to account for your time and the effort, any tools/equip you'll need to buy to prep the area and lay/level/trowel the cement (trowel $20, large screed $50, shovel $20, airator $200, timber and star picket to frame the area $100, etc), the materials like rebar and cement (I get cement very cheap @ $150cbm and you'd need to buy 2cbm at $300).

Add to this you getting a professional finish and have someone to fall back on should there be any cracks, etc.

I certainly don't mean to rain on your parade but just want you to go into this with all the info. Sometimes it's better to just pay someone. 

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Hey @krishna what were you quoted?
You can certainly DIY and save
Also thicken the edges and use SL62 mesh, premix Concrete n25,20,80 mix approx $220m3
There are also plenty of how too videos on youtube along with some hilarious rip-off ones
Pay attention to set and finishing (trowelling) times
Start early morning  break in between 

cheers

Hi @krishna big welcome to the community.

I have to agree with @ProjectPete  on this one.

There is so much prep work and initial outlay just for a small job like this one.

Perhaps you could get a few quotes and ask the concretor if he or she doesn't mind if you watch. At least you could get a better idea for your next concreting project.

Kind regards Rob 👍

Hi All,
I too agree with you guys about the amount of work/prep for that small job and doing it for the first time will be expensive than hiring some one.
I will get few quotes from other contractors and see it that comes down in price. they might charge me for the site prep work but it is better to do it right from starting.
Thank you,
Krishna
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hey @krishna
you judge...Here are Bunnings "How to" Videos with very little prep work

How to Build Formwork

How to level concrete

You might also want to try Airtasker for concretors

LOL concreting is up for disruption, note check the engineering details, specis, notes

and follow them carefully

hth

krishna
Growing in Experience

Thank you @BIM_Engineer
I just posted it in Airtasker. Hopefully someone will quote for me.
THank you.
Krishna
krishna
Growing in Experience

Hi All,
finally some one from Airtasker did come to visit the place and quoted $2000 for 4x4 concrete carport (including prep work). I am not prepared for that money.
So I am now thinking about Doing it my self. I do agree that poring concrete and making it look nice is not an easy job for first timers. So what is your ideas about gravel carport.
instead of concrete, I prepare the land, use the base and compact it and then instead of concrete I use gravel and compact it again.
would that be a good idea?
Thank you,

I'd get another quote. $2k is very unreasonable and you'll find a normal quote will be closer to the $1k mark. Although some businesses charge a minimum square metreage which is what will drive the price up.

You're not based in Perth, are you @krishna ?

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects