Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service to help you get your wood home and get started on your project.

Here are some frequently asked questions about our timber cutting service to help Bunnings Workshop members. 

What type of cuts can be done at a Bunnings store?

Bunnings stores typically have two types of saws for timber cutting.  

• Panel saw – used to cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections and pieces. The machine is capable of both horizontal and vertical cuts on most of our board products. Some examples of products that can be cut using a panel saw include MelaminePlywood and MDF.   

Does this service have a cost? 

Bunnings stores may charge a small fee for timber cutting. The price is:

• Timber docking - First two cuts are free, and 50 cents per additional cut

• Panels and sheeting - First cut is free and $1 per additional cut.

Is this service available at my local Bunnings?

You can check whether the timber cutting service is available at a nearby store by visiting the Bunnings website. Here’s how:  

• Mobile device - Select your nearest store and then click on your store's name on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, including details about what services they offer

• Desktop computer - Type the nearest store's name in the change store drop-down and then click on store details. This will take you to your store's information page, including details on what services they offer.

Can I bring my own piece of timber to be cut?

Due to the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores.

When is the best time to visit a store for timber cutting?

Visiting at a quieter time will ensure faster service. It's best to avoid weekends and public holidays as many other D.I.Y. enthusiasts will also be looking to build their own projects.

What if I want to do the cutting at home?

Knowing what saw to use and how to use it is the key to success. Here are some useful guides to get you started: 

What if I can't get my timber home? 

We offer a number of options to get your products home safely. You can use our free courtesy trailer for up to two hours. If you need more time you can also hire a trailer, a ute or a van to suit your needs. We also offer a comprehensive delivery service to assist you in getting your purchases home. Most stores offer same day or next day service. Please contact your nearest store for details.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions about our helpful timber cutting service.

Mitchell

Timber (002).jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cut shop

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rallen. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about our cutting service.

I'd need to know the exact panel product you are referring to in order to give an accurate answer. As an example, we cannot cut this 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel on our saws, but this 897 x 600 x 7mm Project Panel BC Plywood can be cut. If you can post a link to the product, that would be helpful.

I'm looking forward to hearing more details on the product and answering your question.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, with the Acacia panel you list above, can could the cut shop cut that into 3x 700mm lengths then trim the 600mm width to 550mm (result being 3x 700x550mm panels)? Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I apologise, @rallen. As mentioned, we cannot cut this panel style or any other panel that is classically thought of as a benchtop.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, ok thanks. And how about the 28mm shelving?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rallen,

I can't think of any 28mm shelving that would be suitable for cutting on our saws. If you can provide the link to the product on the Bunnings website, I can double-check. Our panel saw is only really suited to construction type boards, including Plywood, Particleboard and Melamine board.

Mitchell

Kylie_Smith
Just Starting Out

custom cut

Hi there

I need about a dozen 12cm pine wood discs cut (ones without the holes in the middle).. can bunnings do these? And if so where do I ask.

TIA 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: custom cut

Hello @Kylie_Smith

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about custom-cut timber.

It sounds like a very intriguing project. Would you mind telling us what the circular timber discs will be used for? Unfortunately, the cutting machines at the store can't do circular cuts. However, you can cut those circles using an XU1 350W Jigsaw. I suggest using a superior cutting blade like Diablo Ultimate Wood Jigsaw Blade - 5 Pack to give you a clean cut. You can then sand them down to perfection using an Ozito 200W Detail Sander. If you have any other questions about your timber project, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

raad
Just Starting Out

Question

if I buy 6m timber bar  can I cut it into 3 peices at bunninges ? 

regards 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Question

Hello @raad 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about 6-meter timber being cut into 3 pieces.

Would it be possible for you to be more specific about which timber you wanted cut? If it is a standard timber piece from the timber yard, yes, it can be cut at the store. What project are you building with your timber? Any information you can provide about your project would be much appreciated.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

sbruce
Just Starting Out

Does Bunnings do multiple cuts for a fee on MDF board at Narellan?

I have read the other discussions on this, but can you confirm that;

Narellan and Hoxton Park do multiple straight horizontal and vertical cuts (for a fee) on MDF board?

Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects