Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service to help you get your wood home and get started on your project.

Here are some frequently asked questions about our timber cutting service to help Bunnings Workshop members. 

What type of cuts can be done at a Bunnings store?

Bunnings stores typically have two types of saws for timber cutting.  

• Panel saw – used to cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections and pieces. The machine is capable of both horizontal and vertical cuts on most of our board products. Some examples of products that can be cut using a panel saw include MelaminePlywood and MDF.   

Does this service have a cost? 

Bunnings stores may charge a small fee for timber cutting. The price is:

• Timber docking - First two cuts are free, and 50 cents per additional cut

• Panels and sheeting - First cut is free and $1 per additional cut.

Is this service available at my local Bunnings?

You can check whether the timber cutting service is available at a nearby store by visiting the Bunnings website. Here’s how:  

• Mobile device - Select your nearest store and then click on your store's name on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, including details about what services they offer

• Desktop computer - Type the nearest store's name in the change store drop-down and then click on store details. This will take you to your store's information page, including details on what services they offer.

Can I bring my own piece of timber to be cut?

Due to the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores.

When is the best time to visit a store for timber cutting?

Visiting at a quieter time will ensure faster service. It's best to avoid weekends and public holidays as many other D.I.Y. enthusiasts will also be looking to build their own projects.

What if I want to do the cutting at home?

Knowing what saw to use and how to use it is the key to success. Here are some useful guides to get you started: 

What if I can't get my timber home? 

We offer a number of options to get your products home safely. You can use our free courtesy trailer for up to two hours. If you need more time you can also hire a trailer, a ute or a van to suit your needs. We also offer a comprehensive delivery service to assist you in getting your purchases home. Most stores offer same day or next day service. Please contact your nearest store for details.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions about our helpful timber cutting service.

Mitchell

Timber (002).jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
krisclelland
Just Starting Out

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

I have recently bought an Acadia slab from Bunnings, and wondered if I can get a perfect square offcut, cut into 90 degree / quarter circle, or is it only straight cuts that are possible in store?

Bandediron
Getting Established

Hello, Mitchell.

I have drawn up three sheets of 2400 x 1200 16mm melamine for cutting to size.

Your Cannington store tell me they will cut sheet wood, but not melamine.

Your Belmont store told me yesterday they cut melamine but today their saw is broken and they don't know when it will be fixed.

Your Cockburn store would cut melamine but has only one damaged sheet.

Your Bibra Lake store was informative, Yes, they cut melamine. Yet when I got to the trade desk it was made clear to me that they will only cut it, say, in two to fit into my car. And they told me that it is company policy through the Bunnings company not to cut to size any longer.

Is there any truth to this, and what do you think of this situation?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @krisclelland

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about cutting an Acacia slab.

Unfortunately, only straight cuts are possible at the store. However, if you wish to cut a quarter circle, I suggest using a jigsaw or a router. I suggest having a look at this discussion - Circle cutting template, without drilling a pivoting point for a plunge router/trimmer by @JoeAzza. You should be able to pick up some great ideas on how to cut that quarter circle on the panel.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bandediron. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about our cutting service.

Please allow me to make some enquiries for you this morning and I'll get back to you shortly.

Many thanks for your patience.

Mitchell

Hi @Bandediron,

I've spoken with Damian, a Coordinator at Cannington Bunnings. I can confirm that we do cut melamine at that location. I've also spoken with a Coordinator at Bunnings Bibra Lake, and they can place multiple cuts in your sheet for you. I apologise if there has been confusion over this. Please speak with a Coordinator at those locations if you continue to have difficulties.

Would you be able to share what sort of cuts you were looking for on these sheets? If you could share your plans with me, I can identify whether your cuts can be made on our machines. There will be instances where specific cuts are not possible. These include partial cuts across sheets and cuts that require accuracies that can't be met on our saws. Safety requirements also don't allow us to make cuts less than 30cm or that don't let the operator secure the sheet sufficiently.

I look forward to hearing more about the intended cuts and answering your questions.

Mitchell

Thanks for your prompt reply, Mitchell.

I will retry Cannington.

I plan to make some cabinets for my shed. They are custom sizes, no doors. Thanks for the warning about precision of cut. I will use the machined edges where appropriate and the cut edges where it is less important.

If some of the cutting is too difficult, as long as I can get everything into my car I can deal with things at home.

I will try to upload a photo of my sketch.

Regards20220722_130851.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bandediron

Thank you very much for posting a photo of your plans. As my colleague has mentioned please make sure to speak to a Coordinator if you continue to have difficulties having your panels cut. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your cabinet assembled.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Bandediron
Getting Established

Thank you, Eric.

I visited Bunnings Cannington this afternoon, and showed my drawing to and discussed with the man who will actually cut the sheets. No problems at all. Such a very pleasant contrast with my experience yesterday.

The cabinets will only be going into my very modest shed and will be nothing flash. Nevertheless, I will be happy to post a photo when finished.

Regards

I'm glad we managed to get that sorted for you @Bandediron. I do apologise again for the confusion.

We look forward to seeing your finished project.

Mitchell

Hi there,

I am thinking of ordering the Spec Rite 2400 x 900mm 33mm Timber Panel Teak (https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-2400-x-900mm-33mm-timber-panel-teak-fj-laminated_p0229069) But will also need it cut down to size (1800 x 700) and delivered.

Its my first time doing such a project. Will I need to order and cut it in store? Or can I order and request to cut online?

Thanks!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects