Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hammer restoration

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Hammer restoration

20211227_070313.jpeg

Had a really old hammer and mallet bought many years ago from Bunnings. They were looking worn and tired and I wanted to see if I could restore them. The hammer had a lot of rust which I just clean off using a wire brush attached to my impact drill. Sanded the wooden handle surface with 80-grit and then 220-grit sandpaper. The face of the hammer was a bit harder as it was bent to one side, I had to use a grinder to reshape the face. Once that was done, the wooden handle was coated in marine varnish. It went well and hopefully I will get many more years of use.

My old hammerMy old hammerCleaned and sandedCleaned and sandedLooking good for another 10 yearsLooking good for another 10 yearsOld malletOld malletMallet handle clean and sandedMallet handle clean and sandedAs good as new:-)As good as new:-)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hammer restoration

Great work, @Nham! They look wonderful. You've certainly added many years to their lifespan. 

Make sure you wipe over the hammer's head now and then with some oil. Or, at the very least, spray it with some WD-40. That will prevent it from rusting and ruining your fantastic work.

Got any other restorations on the horizon? The last one I did was this tenon saw. I've got a lot of time for old tools. They certainly don't make them like that anymore.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Saw.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects