Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hand made mallet

ksd050
Building a Reputation

Hand made mallet

I was unsatisfied with the size and weight of the woodworking mallet I had (left) so I decided to make a new one. I slightly underestimated how big it would end up. Nicely weighted though, the head is full of tiny lead fishing sinkers for extra oomph

IMG_20210122_194922.jpg

IMG_20210122_201252.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hand made mallet

That's certainly an impressive mallet @ksd050! Did you have anything in mind for its use, and would you mind explaining how you got the lead sinkers inside?

Many thanks for sharing as I trust our woodworking members will be interested in seeing your efforts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ksd050
Building a Reputation

Plans for its use is basically everything you use a woodworking mallet for, chiselling, knocking in dowels and bowties, 

As for how the weight was achieved, I basically followed this video, but instead of the head being made up of 3 layers, I used 2 and drilled about 70% through each with a 40mm forstner bit. I cut the slot in both sides for the handle, filled all 4 holes with sinkers and then glued the 2 sides and handle together. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lovely work @ksd050. We have featured it on our Project Gallery. Congratulations on your build.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects