Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help !! How to fix a huge dent/bent in the drywall

Murali
Getting Established

Help !! How to fix a huge dent/bent in the drywall

Hey guys !! Hope everyone is safe....

My garage has this weird dent or bent (refer pics below), don't know what to call it. It looks like the drywall or plasterboard has been pushed hardly inwards by the previous owner. It has created an awkward looking bent on the wall now. Also looks like the previous owner tried to conceal some holes as well and they have done terrible job at that. 

I need your expertise to help me fix that bent. I will be repainting the wall. So if you can help me with your ideas to straighten out the bent that will be of huge help.

IMG_2240.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Help !! How to fix a huge dent/bent in the drywall

Hi @Murali,

It looks very similar to a crack that one of our members @PartyDad fixed a couple of years back. 

As per my recommendation back then, start here - How to fix a hole in a plaster wall. It includes the tools and materials that you will need. I will also embed the video below. 

All the best with the repairs.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Murali,

As @Jason has mentioned you might like to read through the discussion: Patching holes in the wall by @PartyDad. In that discussion, they repair some damage similar to the areas the previous owner tried to conceal.

However, depending on how deep the dent/bend is I would be tempted to advise cutting the whole section out and installing a plaster repair panel. I feel this would be an easier repair option and would require less filler added to the surface of the wall. If you don't replace the bent area with new plaster sheet you will need to apply filler to the entire area to try and return the wall to a flush surface. Even after doing so, you have only filled over the top of a damaged section of wall and there is a reasonable chance that the filler will crack as the sheeting is not sound.

It really comes down to how solid that dented in section is. If it doesn't flex when pushed on you might like to just skim coat it all until flush with Gyprock CSR 2kg Rapid Patch Filler.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

Amanda1
Finding My Feet

IMG_20201219_191733.jpg

Sorry, that is my photo. Couldn't figure out how to add photo to my reply... 

How did you go @Murali?

I've got something similar but a little less messy. It's about 15cm wide and 70cm long. I really want to avoid cutting it out and attaching a new piece (and would probably get a professional if that needs to be done) 

@MitchellMc suggests just filling it. It doesn't flex when pushed.

Any suggestions on what would be best? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Amanda1. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Damage to that extent should really be cut out, and the section replaced. I'd suggest that if you do fill the area with Gyprock CSR 2kg Rapid Patch Filler, it would be best to do so gradually with several coats. If you are not happy with the results you've achieved, you could always have a professional finish it for you. I'd encourage you to give it a go.

Please let us know if you have any questions or need help.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How did you go with that repair @Amanda1? Did you need further assistance at all?

Mitchell

Haven't tackled it yet @MitchellMc! Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated :smile: 

Sorry, just saw this post now. I think I will be able to give that a go. Thanks very much. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects