Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you replace the gutters on an old garage?

iolene
Cultivating a Following

How do you replace the gutters on an old garage?

I need to replace the gutters on our very old garage. The ones on it have completely rusted through in many places.

The budget is tight (hence me doing it) and I was thinking about using the pvc ones as they're light weight and easier to handle on my own. Has anyone done this before and what are some handy hints or issues I should be aware of?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you replace the gutters on an old garage?

Hello @iolene

I'm sorry to hear that the gutters in your garage have completely rusted through. I suggest replacing them with Icon Plastics 3m PVC Gutter, it is lightweight, durable, and easy to install. Here are some basic steps to take before purchasing your materials.

Once you've made your plan, I suggest organizing your purchase at the store and book them for delivery. Installing PVC Gutter is usually a two-person job. I suggest organizing a mate to lend you a hand when it comes time to lift the gutter into place. Please note to take all necessary safety precautions when working at height. This sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide while it's being installed would be much appreciated.

Here is a link to the PVC Gutter install guide: Installation Guide Cloudburst Rainwater System

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pstq
Having an Impact

Re: How do you replace the gutters on an old garage?

@iolene 

I used steel. From memory it's cheaper. Once the hooks are up, it's not that hard for one person to fit it into the hooks. You'd need to be able to drill and rivet the ends and pops on. It's handy to have a couple of step ladders so you don't have to move the ladder as much.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects