Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a sideyard garden shed using the existing Colorbond gate?

RS
Getting Established

How to add a sideyard garden shed using the existing Colorbond gate?

Screenshot_20230518-233607.png

images (17).jpeg

Hello experts, I want to install a skillion roof garden shed on the sideyard but use the existing colorbond entry gate (fencing gate) as the rear wall of the shed, and keep the garden shed door towards the inside of the house.

I've the concrete slab ready for the base.

I've attached the picture of the shed that I'm tempted to buy and a sample picture of the sideyard gate. Do you think it will be possible to cut the rear wall of the shed to the existing gate height and width, yet secure the shed to the fencing gate posts or to concrete base?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sideyard garden shed using the existing colorbond gate

Hi @RS,

I believe it's entirely possible to achieve what you've described. However, you'll need to put a reasonable amount of effort into the fit and finish to minimise any gaps and frame the cut edges. Also, the gate isn't designed to be watertight, so I'd expect the shed not to be particularly weather resistant. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RS
Getting Established

Thank you. Do you have any recommendations for the framing of the cut edges? I understand the weatherproof part and was planning to stick some plastic door seals which are available at Bunnings on each side of the gate. Hoping that will make it better than nothing.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RS 

If you are planning to cut the Colorbond steel, I suggest using the best cutting tool you can get your hands on. The cleaner the cut the easier it will be to cover the cut steel.

I recommend using Brutus 4.5mm x 2.4m Building Moulding Capping in combination with Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant

To attach the capping onto the cut side of the steel, put a large bead of sealant inside the channel and push it against the cut edge of the Colorbond. Apply some tape on the capping to hold it in place while the sealant cures. When the sealant dries off you can remove the tape holding the capping.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects