Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add insulation to a sunroom with Colorbond roof?

garyw
Just Starting Out

How to add insulation to a sunroom with Colorbond roof?

Hi,

Thanks for adding me to this exciting forum.

My question is regarding insulating my existing sunroom to convert it to all season room.

The problem is the room becomes very cold in winter and hot in summer. Also due to condensation there be mould formation on roof.

I live in south-west Sydney.

The sunroom is 7m(L)X3m(W) and is made from colourbond metal,with glass windows.

The problem is that the roof is not insulated,neither the side frames. The roof is a single metal sheet without any support.

The floor is same as wooden deck and there are gaps. Also its  a raised room so makes it very cold/hot.

Please provide your feedback if its worth implementing following ideas so I can use this room as study & media room.

• Roof insulation : Insulate the colorbond roof(please suggest material and if I can  glue it to roof).Build a light weight metal frame, please suggest the material. The frame can be build by joining to the existing frame using rivet/glue(please suggest). Added a photos (existing roof, idea of frame). Also need to cover using lightweight material (please suggest). I am planning to install downlights in it.
  • Floor : Install vinyl boards on top of existing floor. Please suggest if that will work or I need under floor insulation ?
  • Side panels below windows : Glue insualtion to colorbond panel, drill wooden frame and gyprock on top of it.
  • Windows : Install roller blinds (please suggest for better insulation).

My plan is to install an aircon if needed in future.

Please provide a feedback if this is feasbile and worth. I dont want to spend too much on it a I plan to sale the house in 2-3 years.

Thanks in advance.

Attached photos. Please let me know if you need mre info.

Regards

Gary

Existing uninsulated roofExisting uninsulated roofExisting frame to attach frame meshExisting frame to attach frame meshproposed Frameproposed Frameproposed Frame and coverproposed Frame and coverwindow and framewindow and frame

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sunroom insulation

I can't see too many issues with raising that board @Terryahh. You could potentially be creating a home for some type of animal in there, though.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Sunroom insulation

Hi @garyw , I agree with the concerns of @MitchellMc on your proposal, especially as regards adding weight to the roof that the existing structure isn't designed for.   If your intend to put in downlights you will need some ceiling space for them to fit into, so you would need to be lowering the room height to accommodate that... is there head space for that?  I think that you would be better off to consider making a timber frame within the existing space so that you have wall space to insulate and to attach the Gyprock to, as well as having a suitable structure to attach and hold the weight of necessary ceiling supports and ceiling materials.  However, I don't know how much that will impact on the overall living space.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects