Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add trellis to the shed?

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

How to add trellis to the shed?

Hello!

We are looking to out some trellis and vines on the side of our shed to grow something as we look onto it from our outdoor area.

There is no garden bed below the shed, so we will need to use pots.

Looking for advice on how to do it? Should we just stick the trellis in the pots? Should we attach it to the shed? Any advice welcome.

The trellis in the photo is not one we purchased for the purpose of this task, just one we had lying around.

thanks so much! 

462E18FA-C134-41C1-A9F2-5FD471727A31.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add trellis to the shed?

Hi @poppylee198,

Your answer likely lies with how much weight the trellis will need to support. If you are looking to screen off the shed there entirely, I strongly encourage you to build something future-proof. It's just the pits when your established screening plant outgrows the trellis. You're then left trying to remove the existing trellis and install a new larger one, all whilst damaging the plant. 

I'd recommend building a frame that can support the fully grown vine, and I've put a rendering together below to illustrate. Using a robust and suitable exterior timber like 88 x 88 3.0m posts will give you the confidence that you'll only need to build this structure once. The bottom post can be bolted directly into your concrete slab with Dynabolts, and the rest of the frame is built off that. You can screw the posts together with bugle screws, and it wouldn't hurt to add some corner brackets to reinforce the structure.

I'd recommend this light-duty reo mesh for the plants to climb on. These mesh clips will allow you to connect the mesh to the timber post neatly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Hi Michael,

thank you so much! It looks great.

Just wondering if you can link the wood again as the link doesn’t seem to be working??

thanks heaps!!

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Also any pots from Bunnings that would be suitable? :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @poppylee198

Try this link instead 88 x 88mm 3.0m Post F7 H4 Treated Pine Premium KD. I've included its full description so that you can ask any team member in the timber yard where this post is located.

In essence, the raised garden bed can be filled with soil and you can plant directly into the garden bed. However, if you wish to use pots, I recommend using standard Terracotta pots. They are affordable and very practical.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects