Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to apply Rustoleum concrete and garage primer?

nadula
Getting Established

How to apply Rustoleum concrete and garage primer?

Hello,

My first post here :smile:
Appreciate if you can help me.

I have used Concrete & Garage Recoat Primer (https://www.rustoleum.com.au/product-catalog/consumer-brands/concrete-prep-and-accessories/concrete-...) on my patio and unexpectedly got a light bristle after about 4 hours.

Attached is a picture of the patio and my attempt to cover it from the rain.

Today weather was
Humidity 38%
Temperature 25c

I read that topcoat window is between 6 - 48hrs on the paint can.

Tomorrow weather is
Humidity 60%
Temperature 18c

After initial rain is it ok if I let the paint to dry again for 10 - 15 hours (within 48 hours) and apply topcoat? 

What impact I can expect?

What advice you can give me on all possible scenarios?

If I go past 48hrs what are my options?

Appreciate your help

Regards
Nadula 

Screenshot_20221126_200044.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rustoleum Concrete & Garage Recoat Primer got wet. What are my options?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nadula. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about applying Rustoleum concrete and garage primer.

I apologise for the delay in my reply. I'll really need to speak with the Rustoleum technical team after the weekend to get you the right information. Obviously, that might be out of the timeframe window. Can you please let me know the time at which you applied the primer? I presume you applied the primer on Saturday? That way, I can provide specific information to the technical team when I call them first thing in the morning.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nadula
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell, 

Thanks for the response. 

Yes paint applied on Saturday evening. 

I feel like doomed. 

Had little ones vaccination today and was planing to apply topcoat this arvo. It was sunny today and no rain expected. But when I'm back from the doc rain started. I couldn't even cover the area painted this time. 

I got this Berger Jet Dry Heavy Duty for topcoat. Went to my local Bunnings today to get some advice about my issue. And support person at the paints desk said he has no knowledge about what to expect on my situation and using these two products together for a paint job. And asked me to contact Berger or Rustoleum tomorrow for advice.

Any advice much much appreciated. 

Regards

Nadula 

20221127_132759.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nadula,

I'm pleased to hear that the Rustoleum technical team have responded to your enquiry. What's the weather looking like this morning? If it's all clear, you're still within the 48-hour time frame, and the primer is not tacky, then you are good to go with your topcoat. Make sure you mop up any water that is still sitting on the primer before top coating. As suggested, if you're outside the window, you'll need to lightly sand the surface with 80-grit sandpaper. You don't need to remove any primer; just lightly scuff the surface.

In regards to switching brands to Berger, that's not going to work, unfortunately. The Berger product is designed to go over bare concrete and needs to seep into a porous layer. It is not designed to go over a primer, and the Berger technical team have advised that it won't bind to the Rustoleum primer. It's best to stick with the same system. I can understand, though, that you're likely trying to find a colour that you're happy with and the Rustoleum colour range is limited.

You'd be far better off going with White Knight Ultra Pave, as their paint is designed to go over a pre-painted surface, and they have a much better colour selection. Just follow the directions as if your primer is a previously painted surface. This requires you to do a spot test and sand any glossy areas.

Please be advised that switching systems will always produce some unknowns, but it sounds like Ultra Pave is your best option.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

nadula
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell, 

I couldn't thank you earlier and came back with another question 😊

As on attached photo patio cambe back awesome with Ultra Pave. But I only did a single coat. It was looking ok and due to other commitments I could not do the second. 

Recently while I was dragging a bit heavy concrete pot over the painted patio floor it made a scratch and I can see the color of Gray primer and black original paint in the scratch. Photos attached.

I've added the original coat moths back and can I still add the second coat? Or its too late now and it won’t stick?

And this scratch is something to be expected stupid me dragging heavy pot over painter surface, or it could have avoided it I've added second coat?

Appreciate your thoughts.

20231107_183349.jpg

20231113_190000.jpg

20231113_185949.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nadula,

Unfortunately, you've passed the re-coat window at this stage, so you'd need to treat it at a pre-painted surface and follow the directions on the can. This requires the entire surface to be lightly sanded and the sheen removed.

The pot could have damaged the surface like this, regardless of the doing two coats.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects