Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wooden shed?

mikebarker
Having an Impact

How to build a wooden shed?

Hi all, I am about to build a small wooden garden storage shed (3m wide x 2.4m deep) on a gravel base. I have been soaking up tutorials, reading the various excellent posts on this forum and on wooden framing and feel fairly confident about most stages but there are a few grey areas that I would love the community guidance on (and will likely lean on you for tips along the way!).

I previously prepped the ground and laid a gravel pad. The plan is to put 2 x 6 treated joists directly into TuffBlocks as the base of the shed and build on top of that.

So my questions are:

Flooring

1. I am looking at treated yellow tongue STRUCAflor is this suitable or is there a better alternative? Treated plywood looks very expensive but I don't mind paying if it means increased longevity.

2. Silly question, but given the fact an exposed tongue in these boards will be at one edge of the shed. Do you just cut these off or just fill the gap with sealant?

Walls

1. What options do I have for external wooden wall panels? I would like something that looks nicer than particleboard or OSB. Is there an outdoor option of these slotted panels? I guess I could use weatherboards but curious at alternatives.

2. Should I use building wrap?

Roofing

1. What are my options here? Just colourbond sheets? If yes, should I still put a plywood/OSB roof on and apply the colourbond to that or just attach it straight to the rafters? I assume I would have lots of gaps if I attach directly to the rafters.

2. If colourbond is the way to go, I'm curious to know what you use so that you don't just have sharp raw edges and what to use for the apex of a pitched roof?

Fasteners

I'm going to use screws instead of nails for framing (Personal preference, if I had a nailgun it might be different 😄). So I don't want to have to pre-drill or anything. What gauge is best, 12g? or thicker? Something like these Buildex RapidDrive Treated Pine Screws 12g x 75mm?

I think that's all I need to know at the moment, once I have these answers I can make my materials order and get stuck in!

Thanks so much

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to build a wooden shed?

Woooo @mikebarker 

Nice design :smile: No suggestions for improvements and your worry about the overhang and the fiddly covering up, well you have the answer you designed yourself :smile: Your eave can be covered with a piece of hardie plank or similar board and kept at that same angle of the rafters. The holes if you are worried about the inside can be filled with pieces of timber to the roof line/tin. 

So the last pic that has the circle to show the meausurement, the hardie plank I am thinking of (Or similar) you just run the whole length across all the rafters .

I relaly like it. It look solid, just went back through the pics :smile: You dont have any stays or cross stays to help firm up the frame? You can use wire strap or put it inset into the timber studs for the walls diagonally. 

Dave

Hi @mikebarker,

Love the design. I'm no structural engineer, but the only thing that pops out for me, as @Dave-1 mentioned, is the lack of noggins. You'll need some bracing to firm up those walls.

I can't wait to see your project start coming together.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Dave-1 and @MitchellMc, ok noted! I've added noggins to the stud work. I might consider strapping if it's cheaper, I'll see when I make my order.

As luck would have it, the gaps in the roof were 71mm, so I've added some 70 x 35 blocking in there. Great fit!

In terms of covering the eve, the gap is 110mm. I wonder if I should tweak that gap so that it's the size of a standard size to avoid having to make a long cut? What standard-size plank is nearby, 90mm? 140mm?

Roof blockingRoof blocking

Hi @mikebarker,

Unfortunately, the cement planks do not come that thin, so you'd likely have to cut one down to fit the space. Have you used an angle grinder before? If so, it wouldn't be particularly difficult to cut the length. Remember your PPE, including a face mask and eye and hearing protection.

Mitchell

Ah fair enough, yeah I have an angle grinder :smile:

Do you think the facia boards should be treated? Or is there no need considering they will be covered up? Currently, the only items that are treated are the floor joists and rim boards and the particle board flooring (and potentially the bottom plates of the walls?).

I was also wondering if 35mm wood is ok for the fascia boards.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @mikebarker 

Id look at it this way, the more you use treated timber especially for an outside shed the longer it will last. I know I factor in $$ when I am building stuff and always look to shaving some price off if I can. Usuallly I dread having to come back and fix something down the track so will try to do the best I can at that point. (pine decking verse merabau decking type deal.)

As to the 35mm fascia boards, I thought most were around 19mm? Just had a look and 30mm seems to be a lot more common :smile: Live and learn :smile:

Dave

Hi @mikebarker,

I'm not sure what size you've decided to go with, but our fascia boards are already H3-treated. So if their sizing works, that would be golden. Also, so you know, our entire range of pre-primed LOSP DAR timber is suitably treated for external use; it just needs to be painted. Plenty of other treated options exist in that range for your fascia boards if our fascia boards don't suit.

As fascia boards are not a structural member, they're typically only 19mm thick.

Mitchell

@Dave-1 Yeah noted, it's worth spending a little extra upfront for less pain in the future!

@MitchellMc Oh what there are actual fascia boards?! 😁 most of the designs I've seen simply use 140mm x 35/45mm timber, I wonder if that's just a cost saver. I'll be covering it with flashing so I guess it doesn't matter what it is. Assuming flashing comes in pieces 140mm tall?

I do prefer the idea of a thinner fascia board though, 45mm seems way too much.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mikebarker 

I totally agree 45mm thick timber is not only too much, but also very heavy. For comparison, you can imagine a standard kitchen benchtop panel is conservatively sized at 32mm thickness and is very heavy even when cut down to size. You can imagine having that weight anchored to the end of your roofing frame. I propose going with the 19mm fascia boards which will be more than sufficient.

In regards to flashing, you can custom order what you need from the store's special orders desk. I suggest bringing your measurements to the team at the special orders desk and asking for a custom quote for flashing. But if it does not have to be custom, I suggest visiting your local store and seeing what's available on the shelf.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects