Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut round metal tube pole in awkward position?

mikebarker
Having an Impact

How to cut round metal tube pole in awkward position?

Hello! I have had some 50mm diameter round steel posts (Standard posts, I assume 3-5mm thick) concreted into the ground as netting posts around a new basketball court. They first need cutting to size before I install the netting hardware (Why the person didn't cut them to size before concreting them in I'm not sure). They are very tall and I will need to be close to the top of a high ladder to cut them i.e. it's a bit tricky and I may have to be working overhead in one or two cases.

My question is: what is the best way to cut them to size given the awkward nature of the site? I have an oscillating multi-tool which, given the various angles you can hold it at, I assume would be ideal but would that be okay for the job? I've only used it for wood so far. Happy to buy a larger/more appropriate blade for the job. I first assumed I'd need to buy an angle grinder, and still can if needs be but if the multi-tool will work that would be excellent to save money.

Many thanks!

Mike

Re: How to cut round metal tube pole in awkward position?

Hi @mikebarker,

I wouldn't be too concerned about the drainage holes. Any water inside the pipes will weep out of the concrete at the bottom over a couple of weeks once the caps are placed on the top.

For the incorrect holes you've drilled, I'd just fill them with silicone, and you could pop a screw cap over the hole if needed. You could also apply silicone to the bolts and holes to prevent water from accessing the exposed pipe. Alternatively, you could spray your holes with Cold Gal spray paint.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to cut round metal tube pole in awkward position?

I just assumed the water would stay put, good to know that concrete is porous.

Ok good, some options for sealing there. Thanks! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects