Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enclose patio to create outdoor room?

Onearmman
Growing in Experience

How to enclose patio to create outdoor room?

Would like to turn my 16m2 patio (attached to rear of the house) into an enclosed additional room- see pics

Due to labor shortage and other constraints, would take to take following sequencing

1. Concrete pad- to find concreter

Question- should this concrete slab be attached to the house structure or just a stand alone pad.

2. Change poly roof to insulated cladding-roof contractor

Question ; Any showrooms in Perth with different type to choose from?

3. Install power outlets

4. Install  light weight insulated wall and doors-carpenter

Question: Do you think the use of those sandwich panels will devalue the price of your property? Will they continue to perform after 10 years?

SmartSelect_20220223-112801_Gallery.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to enclose patio to create outdoor room?

Hello @Onearmman

Thank you for sharing your question about closing your patio to create an outdoor room. I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to enclose the back verandah patio? by @TessaJones36. I recommend checking with your local council if a permit is required when converting a patio into a room. Other than that, I believe all you'll need are a good set of plans so that you can carry out the transformation.

Once you've gone through the council requirements, you should be able to enclose the area and turn it into another room. The general steps you've lined up are pretty much what is needed to enclose the room. However, there is more detail involved in each step. For example, the concreting of the pad also involves the placing of the moisture barrier. It will also need to be determined if you can cement directly over the pavers or they must be removed so that you will have a proper cement foundation. These are some of the things you'll need to consider when making your plan.

The sandwich panels you're referring to are ideal insulators for external use. But in this case, if you are building a timber frame, I suggest using Standard Wall Insulation. A standard roll of wall insulation can cover up to 21 square meters, while the sandwich panels will only cover an area of around 2.8 square meters. A big difference when you're trying to budget your build.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Onearmman
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric for the valuable comment.

It never came up that i could keep those pavers and just lay concrete on top. That was thenreal $saving since the land is well compacted.

As for the insulation, what kind of outer wall were you talking about to be able to handle weathering?

Derek

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Onearmman

There are a few options when it comes to cladding, you can use brick, timber, fibre cement, steel and composite materials. It all depends on what you're willing to spend on it. The cladding combined with the framing and insulation all come together to form the wall of the room.

If you need further assistance, please let us know,

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects