Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill ugly gap in corner of Besser brick walls?

OneMansFool
Building a Reputation

How to fill ugly gap in corner of Besser brick walls?

Hey folks.

I have just had a read through some posts about filling in large holes / gaps in walls. I am not sure what applies to my specific problem.

In a nutshell:

• I am currently painting my garage walls. Doesn’t have to be perfect, just neat.
  • But there is a large unsightly gap between the two walls in one corner. It is partially filled (badly) with mortar. See the photos below.
  • So I do want to spend a bit of time fixing this up to be as neat and paintable and possible.

AE2D46BE-91AD-41D5-93AA-E553B1B54528.jpeg A9F36398-2B48-4DEB-8F95-F103678F767A.jpeg

I don’t think there has been any damage to this area (it doesn’t seem to be the result of movement over time?), it looks like this was just what passed as good enough in 1974.

Should I be looking at expanding foam? Maybe some fast set mortar?

It is just a few cm at its widest, but the narrow void goes back a fair way in some parts. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Filling-in ugly gap in corner of besser brick walls

Hi @OneMansFool,

I'd suggest you start by chipping out all of that degraded mortar. Take some filler rod and pack it into all the voids until you are less than 10mm from the surface. You could use expanding foam to fill the void, but it's hard to control the expansion. Next, fill the remaining 10mm of crack with Sikaflex 11FC using a sausage caulking gun. Finish flush with the surface and smooth off the 11FC using an inner cove from the silicone scraper kit. Allow five to seven days for the product to cure before painting. I'd suggest painting up to either side of it now if you wish and then coating over it after the curing period.

The Sika 11FC is a paintable and flexible polyurethane designed for joints. By using this product, you'll ensure that you don't see any cracking of the area in the future. You could use a fast-set mortar, but the flexible sealant would be my preferred method.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Filling-in ugly gap in corner of besser brick walls

Perfect advice @MitchellMc 

OneMansFool
Building a Reputation

Re: How to fill ugly gap in corner of Besser brick walls?

Thanks @MitchellMc + @CSParnell .

“Degraded” mortar was a good description. Large chunks of it came out with just my bare hands:

235D5B26-9CBC-4501-A7F9-55641A330FBF.jpeg

Turns out I undersold how wide the gap is: it is actually 45mm at its widest. Do you think I will still be OK to pack it with the filler rod until it is just 10mm deep and then fill it with the joint sealant?

Hey @OneMansFool 

Given the gap has opened right up you might be better going with an option  of giving the corner a spray with some expander foam to form a backing then mixing up some morter mix and apply with a corner trowel packing it in tight.

The foam you don't want a lot just enough to stop the cement mix falling through.

Screenshot_20220817-184702_Bunnings Product Finder.jpg

Screenshot_20220817-184816_Bunnings Product Finder.jpg

Screenshot_20220817-184939_Bunnings Product Finder.jpg

  

Brilliant, thanks. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @OneMansFool

Seeing the mortar you just pulled out tells me that the person who originally filled the area did not prep the gap properly. Just to add to the suggestion made, if the expanding foam overflows from the gap, just wait for it to cure. Once it reaches its solidified state you can cut off the excess foam with a Stanley knife. 

Please keep in mind that once you've finished filling the gap, you'll need a minimum of 3 weeks to let the mortar dry out. If you paint over the surface too soon moisture that's still in the mortar will push the paint off its surface causing bubbling and peeling. Getting good airflow in the area is key to getting the mortar to dry faster. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your wall gap repaired.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Great advice as always @EricL 

OneMansFool
Building a Reputation

Hi folks, I have one more question about using the expander foam.

Note that on the other side of this wall is my neighbour’s garage. The bottom two thirds of this mortar column (while incredibly messy) is quite thick, so it forms a solid backing for me to apply the expander foam as necessary and new mortar over the top.

But the top third was complete garbage: wobbly, patchy, thin, none of it worth saving. Even if I hadn’t removed any of the mortar, expander foam would probably have ended up in my neighbour’s garage.

So after chatting to my neighbour we have agreed that I can rip out the remaining bad mortar in the top section (completely opening it up and creating a small void between our two garages) before neatening it up on BOTH sides of the wall. So I want to double check how best to do that before diving in.

Should I be aiming to create a column of expander foam in the middle of the void (marked with the question mark on the below diagram), thus forming a solid backing for the mortar from both sides? And if so, how should I go about attempting to do that — any trick to it?

Or would I be better off entirely blocking one side (somehow, with something) before using expander foam from the other?

9631525E-3D65-4EF7-9AF5-474012914D06.jpeg

Hi @OneMansFool 

Just a to clarify is this a dividing wall for a duplex / town house and if so does it extend past the ceiling line through to the roof peak?

I just want to make sure it's not a dividing fire rated wall and if so fire rating motar maybe a better approach if not continue as planned.

With the major gap you maybe better packing it out with foam board if the void is that large that way you have better control and less mess.

Screenshot_20220821-195050_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220821-195958_Chrome.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects