Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill ugly gap in corner of Besser brick walls?

OneMansFool
Building a Reputation

How to fill ugly gap in corner of Besser brick walls?

Hey folks.

I have just had a read through some posts about filling in large holes / gaps in walls. I am not sure what applies to my specific problem.

In a nutshell:

• I am currently painting my garage walls. Doesn’t have to be perfect, just neat.
  • But there is a large unsightly gap between the two walls in one corner. It is partially filled (badly) with mortar. See the photos below.
  • So I do want to spend a bit of time fixing this up to be as neat and paintable and possible.

AE2D46BE-91AD-41D5-93AA-E553B1B54528.jpeg A9F36398-2B48-4DEB-8F95-F103678F767A.jpeg

I don’t think there has been any damage to this area (it doesn’t seem to be the result of movement over time?), it looks like this was just what passed as good enough in 1974.

Should I be looking at expanding foam? Maybe some fast set mortar?

It is just a few cm at its widest, but the narrow void goes back a fair way in some parts. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Re: How to fill ugly gap in corner of Besser brick walls?

Thanks @CSParnell.

It is an internal wall separating two garages on the ground floor of a brick block – I’m beginning to think that it was originally left bare/open, and the sloppy mortar is actually from a previous reno attempt from the other side.

Thanks, I may well go the route of foam board.

@CSParnell's idea of using foam board is fantastic @OneMansFool. If you have trouble sliding it in, you can cut it into smaller pieces and use the expanding foam to fill any gaps. If you pick up the standard expanding foam, it shouldn't enlarge so much that it comes out on the neighbour's side.

To use the expanding foam by itself, I'd suggest the triple-expanding version and run a continuous bead down the middle of the wall. You'll find it only expands several centimetres in either direction and shouldn't reach the surface of the gap in either of your properties. You'll likely need to come back and do another bead on either side to reach just below the surface of the gap.

I like the foam board idea, and it would be my first choice if you can get it to fit.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Progress update: it’s going great! It’ll look good when done.

Hardest part is getting the consistency of the mortar correct, but that is easily corrected as you go.

550BAA69-1FA6-496D-8180-D376521EFDBC.jpeg

Hey @OneMansFool looking great looking forward to hearing the methods you went with and seeing the final results 

OneMansFool
Building a Reputation

I filled most of the void with the foam board before setting it in place with expanding foam.

It turned out tidier than I was fearing it would:

57FAC827-36B3-4A72-B5E1-D5411E896FED.jpeg 2BCD1CD5-5812-4675-B27C-246DA397D21B.jpeg

I did the mortaring in two goes, the bottom bit a few days ago and the top bit just now. Really happy with how it turned out, and in a month or so I’ll finish the undercoat:

047D62F6-4B61-41C1-86A0-43F33B4F2DC7.jpeg  95512203-822D-4501-A726-C3DDB3A1EC60.jpeg

Fantastic @OneMansFool looks great so happy it turned out as well as it has for you. Well done.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @OneMansFool

Thank you very much for posting those photo updates, your repair work looks excellent. Your strategy to do it in sections is exactly the right way to go about it. This means that you've allowed the moisture to escape before putting the next section on. However, I still recommend waiting to make sure the concrete is fully cured before painting the surface. 

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects