Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a heavy door?

givemeabreak
Finding My Feet

How to hang a heavy door?

I'm about to hang a heavy door on my my workshop/garage.

I have some 100m sleeved anchors which I will be fastening into a brick wall.

My question is which would be strongest the bricks or the concrete between?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to hang a door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @givemeabreak. We're pleased to have you join in the discussion and trust you'll get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects from our amazing members. 

You might like to share a photo or two of your garage so members can see what you are working with and provide the most specific and helpful responses possible. 

In the meantime, let me tag some wonderful members such as @JDE, @Yanick@Prof and @Brad to see if they might like to share their thoughts with you.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Brick for me and if they are hollow core bricks a chemical anchor would help.

wall-floor-anchors chemical 

Yanick
Growing in Experience

Both ways work well as long as your mortar and bricks aren’t brittle. As you are hanging a door I would recommend going into the bricks as several anchors in the same vertical mortar joint has the potential to cause some movement and cracking of the joint, particularly if it is near to an end or corner of a wall.

Also, don’t over tighten the anchors as this can also cause cracks to form in the brickwork.

givemeabreak
Finding My Feet

Ok thanks for the advice. I'll probably get started on this in a couple of days once the glue dries on my door.

Ok doors up, I bought the pine from a furniture maker in Baldivis who's retiring,20200907_113020-large.jpg a dollar per length so eleven dollars worth of timber.

I think the most expensive part of the project was the paint.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects