Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install boxing heavy bag mount?

JustinMcAbbe
Growing in Experience

How to install boxing heavy bag mount?

Hello

Please can you provide some guidance on how best to install this heavy bag mount into garage ceiling; 

1- How far are the beams in normal Australian garage?

2 - What is the best type of screws to use?

3 - Will i need to use some wood to be able to mount this?

4 - the bag will be around 50 kgs

5 - Here is the link the dimensions and image - https://www.firstlawfitness.com/products/spider-mount-heavy-bag-mountsMount 1.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Install Boxing Heavy Bag Mount

Hi @JustinMcAbbe,

The joists in your ceiling would generally be spaced either 450 or 600mm apart. A stud finder will be helpful when trying to locate solid timber to screw into.

I'd suggest you follow the manufacturer's guidelines for installation. They recommend using lag bolts and washers to attach your bag mount to the roof's structure.

The website suggests that the products extension bars are only necessary for 600mm joists. However, if your joists are on 450mm centres, the space between them is likely 400mm. I would think that's cutting it very fine with those 406mm spaced screw holes. I'd suggest using a stud finder to verify the spacing. If the screws are only going to hit the joist right on its edge, it would be a good idea to install some bridging timber or investigate whether the extension will work.

I've put a rendering together to visualise how close it will be.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

This is incredible, thank you so much, i need to be careful not to screw into the edge of the joist, thank you.. 

No problems at all, @JustinMcAbbe.

If you decide to give it a go and it's a bit close, pre-drilling some holes at an angle towards the interior of the joist will guide the screws away from the edge and into solid timber. However, I'd encourage you to err on the side of caution as you don't want the weight of the bag and mounting bracket coming down on you or others.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects