Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate a garage tilt door?

lydp
Just Starting Out

How to insulate a garage tilt door?

I have an internal entry attached garage with a tilt door. Is there any way I can insulate the tilt door as the garage gets extremely hot in the afternoon and if the internal door is accidently left open the whole house gets super heated.

Re: roller door

Cheers Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your projects @NarSte, and please reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks again Eric. Still in the planning phase.

As I am in Brisbane and the doors face due west I am looking for the best heat reduction bang for my bucks.  So what do you think Ametalin or the Earthwool R5.0. At this point in time I'm leaning towards the latter as it sounds less complicated.

Cheers

Steve 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @NarSte 

I would still encourage you to install a timber frame so that it will be easy for you to support the insulation. From an installation point of view, it will be faster to install the frame rather than drill so many holes in the steel frame of the garage door. With a timber frame you'll be able to staple the straps for the Earthwool on the go and the same goes for the Ametalin. 

However, the Earthwool has a higher R rating than the Ametalin so I suggest taking that into consideration.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi again Eric and co.

I have been to the Stafford store and made our purchases. Had to settle for the R4.0 195 x 430  x 1160 however.

Excuse my ignorance but with the pine is the 42 or 19 face that sits against door panel? 

Cheers

Steve

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @NarSte 

It's perfectly alright to ask these questions. It is the 42mm that sits on the door frame. The thin edge which is the 19mm side is the one facing you and where you'll be stapling the straps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects