Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a carport ceiling?

SLlo
Finding My Feet

How to paint a carport ceiling?

I think it should be fairly straightforward, however I am wondering what products and type of paint etc to use when painting a carport ceiling?  The area is outside and open so there is the roof and some wooden poles on the outside of the structure and there is no walls or doors.  fairly simple.  do i need to undercoat and seal etc? how many coats nd do i need an ecternal ceiling paint?  is there a type of paint that is all in one like primer paint and top coat for external ceiling?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to paint a carport ceiling?

Hi @SLlo,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust that you'll get all manner of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members.

Could we please trouble you for some photos of your carport and/or a description of what the carport ceiling is made from? Is it new or has it already been painted previously? If it's the latter, what's the condition of the current paint? 

I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist you this afternoon if you can provide more information.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi SLlo.

"carport ceiling?"

Is it corrugated iron?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SLlo

Before you start painting your garage floor, we first need to identify the finish on your garage floor. Is the cement floor shiny and polished? If that's the case we'll need to use an etching compound to allow the paint to attach itself to your garage floor. Are there grease and oil stains on the floor? It'll be necessary to do a thorough cleaning using the appropriate products. If you park your car in the garage every night, you'll need paint that's specifically made to withstand hot tire pickup, ordinary paint will just strip off in those conditions.

As for the ceiling is it just timber trusses or is it covered in plaster? Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your garage floor and ceiling? This will give our members a chance to assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to paint it.

If you need assistance in posting the pictures, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects