Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect studio cabin Shadowclad exterior?

Beksta
Finding My Feet

How to protect studio cabin Shadowclad exterior?

Hi All,

I have bought myself a studio cabin for myself to do my favorite hobby, my question to all is what do I do with the exterior,it is made of Shadowclad.I dont want to paint so now I am asking what sort of finish like stain or oil does it need to be protected from the weather and what is a good product that should be used,cheers Rebecca.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect studio cabin Shadowclad exterior?

Hi Rebecca (@Beksta),

Congratulations on your new studio! Mind me asking what your favourite hobby is? 

Shadowclad is already H3 treated for protection in exterior applications. So, all you really need to worry about is the colour selection of your stain. No oil is needed. Obviously, this stain will need to be re-applied at intervals determined by how extreme the conditions are. This might be once every few years to keep the colours looking fresh. I'd suggest going with a brand of exterior stain that meets your colour selection needs. I can highly recommend Feast Watson Timber + Decking Stain. This product adds rich colour and a subtle sheen to timber whilst still highlighting the natural beauty of the timber grain. It comes in the colours Grey Mountain Ash, Black Japan, European Oak, Swan River Jarrah and Taman Merbau. Another great premium option would be the Sikkens Cetol BLX-Pro range. It comes in the colours Dark Oak, Light Oak, Pine, Teak and Walnut.

If you'd prefer a glossy or satin look, you can also apply an exterior stain and varnish combo. These coatings might last longer than a pure stain, but if they become deteriorated, their rejuvenation will be more extensive. 

I'll be looking forward to seeing some images of your newly stained studio. Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, thankyou so very much for your infomation about the exterior of my cabin,and yes my hobby is candlemaking,my question to you now is about the interior. I am going to line the walls and ceiling with Hardwood ply, my cabin is 6 meters long,3 meters width and 3 meters tall, I am thinking of painting the ceiling just once and walls twice,is that o.k do you think? How much paint would I need for the ceiling ? And how much for the walls do you think,any information would be greatly appreciated, cheers Rebecca.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Rebecca (@Beksta),

Oh, candle making! That sounds like a tonne of fun!

The general rule of thumb is that one litre of paint covers eight square meters with two coats. That's worked out for plasterboard, so I'd expect you'd use slightly more on an absorbent timber. You should factor in at least seven litres for the walls and just over two litres for the roof if doing a single coat there. Just remember, it might require two coats to cover the ceiling properly. I've never really seen any paint cover adequately in a single coat unless it's going over an almost identical colour. You might find it's more economical to buy a single ten litre can if you're happy with the same colour on the walls and ceiling.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects